Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 28, 2004, 11:40 PM   #1

Default HELP: Pics always coming out blurry and NOT sharp.

Hello,

I purchased the new Kodak DX-6490 http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/dx6490.html (4 megapixels)

I purchased it for over $800 Canadian over 3 months ago and I believe it is an AMAZING camera however I have yet to understand how to properly use it because all I get it blurry images no matter what I do.

I attend car shows and take pictures of the vehicles and can't get the camera to take good, sharp quality pictures. 80% of the time they LOOK sharp on the viewer (either viewfinder or the LCD screen only to discover they are USELESS when I view them on the computer full size. I have tried all types of settings and just can't seem to figure out what I need to do to fix this. I cannot see this camera REQUIRING a TRIPOD for each and EVERY time you take a picture.

I attended a local car show today and took over 450 pictures, out of them, perhaps 50 or so came out. The rest of the pictures were blurry. http://www.camarosource.ca/car_show_awful/ ALL of these were taken with the size quality of " ** Better"

I realize that the slightest camera shake would cause this however just pushing the shutter button SLOWLY and VERY CAREFULLY is enough to apparently shake the camera.

Like I said, I cannot see you buying an $800 camera and having to use the TRIPOD for each and every picture just to prevent it from being blurry. I even had it rest on the ground with it set on TIMER (that way I do not have any possibility of camera shake since the camera would take the picture on its own without me having to touch it) and at times it too came out with unsharpen edges. I tried the Landscape feature, Camera mode, Pasm mode, Sport Mode, Night Mode, and even Portrait Mode and they all seem to result it unsharp, unclear images. I was watching others with VERY less expensive digital camera's taking pictures and walking away without any problems. Heck, even those with camera-phones were having no problems where as me with the $800 Kodak's TOP OF THE LINE camera is having nothing but problems.

I will be attending another car show but this is rediculous if I have to set the camera on a tripod anytime I want to take a picture. Obviously this is not right and there is SOMETHING I am doing wrong but I don't know what that can be.

Let's see for example I want to take a picture of a car at the show. What settings would I use? Do I HAVE to use a tripod?

I had a CHEAPER ($400+ cdn) Sony-DSC Cybershot S50 (2.1 Megapixels) http://www.steves-digicams.com/s50.html and I had NEVER had ANY blurry issues with that camera like I do with this one, this one that costs TWICE as much!

Thank you VERY much for your help.
camarosource is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2004, 11:57 PM   #2

Make sure you have your macro turned off. I didn't do this once and ruined a bunch of pics ops: Beyond this very basic suggestion, I have no idea but I'm sure another Kodak owner can help.

Good luck, Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 11:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKayd1
Make sure you have your macro turned off. I didn't do this once and ruined a bunch of pics ops: Beyond this very basic suggestion, I have no idea but I'm sure another Kodak owner can help.

Good luck, Suzan
Macro?
Old Mar 29, 2004, 1:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosource
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKayd1

Good luck, Suzan
Macro?
Read the manual.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 1:33 AM   #5

I did check the online manual and even looked in the index at the very end and I don't see any "Macro" listed anywhere.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 1:42 AM   #6

Quote:
I did check the online manual and even looked in the index at the very end and I don't see any "Macro" listed anywhere.
http://wwwcaen.kodak.com/global/en/s...c=urg00167c2s4

The little flower (as they note for close-up mode) is macro mode.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 1:45 AM   #7

Ah, ok. No I didn't have the Close-Up mode nor the Landscape mode on. Still blurry images.

Check out the images I uploaded to that folder and you'll see what it's doing.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 1:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Ah, ok. No I didn't have the Close-Up mode nor the Landscape mode on. Still blurry images.

The only other 2 things that are almost too obvious to mention are 1) make sure you are acheiving focus by pressing the shutter button halfway down until the camera has focused and 2) If you find most of the pics are blurry when making use of the large optical zoom then camera shake could indeed be your problem.

Last possible cause I can think of is you are using manual settings and using a far too slow shutter speed.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 1:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman
Quote:

The only other 2 things that are almost too obvious to mention are 1) make sure you are acheiving focus by pressing the shutter button halfway down until the camera has focused and 2) If you find most of the pics are blurry when making use of the large optical zoom then camera shake could indeed be your problem.
1. I always use the half-way button feature :-)
2. But if that is the case, then that means you can't use it as a handhold camera and can only use it on a tripod? That's useless.

However there are a few pictures (on ground level) that were lever on the ground and with the timer on, it snapped the picture without my touching it. That would result in NO possible camera shake and it still came out blurry..
Old Mar 29, 2004, 3:37 AM   #10

IMO it looks like the blurr is being caused by you pressing the shutter button and shaking the camera slightly, because all the blurr seems to be vertical.

Are you using the flash on the camera?

U could try forcing the camera to flash instead of auto flash, this may speed up the shutter speed.

You may also be rushing taking the pictures (i used to do this, pressing the button and lowering the camera to walk on because i felt i was in other peoples way) try holding the camera perfectly still for about 2 seconds after it has taken the picture.

(a friends dad had a Camaro, very rare here in Northern Ireland, but it had a lovely sounding engine )
Zordey is offline   Reply With Quote