Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:36 AM   #1

Default Taking City Night Shots

Hi Guys,

I've recently come back from a Vacation to New York. Of course when your in NYC you have to take as many shots as possible of the skyline. I specifically brought my Nikon Coolpix 885 for my trip and I was disapointed with the quality of the night shots. (i counldn't fault daytime shots in anyway).

I used the "night landscape" scene setting on the camera thinking that this would give excellent shots (like the sales person said it would), but all my shots were either out of focus due to camera shaking or the picture looked grainy.

I'd like some tips on Night landscape shooting as i'm going back to NYC in sept and i want to get great nighttime shots this time round!

I've attached a couple of pics i took from the top of the Empire state building where I was using the metal railings as a tripod and on the Brooklyn bridge. These were the better Night shots but I wasn't that impressed by the outcome!

I have also learn't my first lesson, buy a tripod! (i've brought one ready for my next trip)

http://www.geocities.com/conall_boyl...?1080574129807

Any tips you have would be great becuase i'm completely new to this game!

Thankyou all once again

Kind Regards

James
conall_boyle_obe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:45 AM   #2

BTW guys, I had the picture settings on the Highest resolution and the finest Pic quality. (The best settings the camera allowed me to shoot at)

cheers

James
Old Mar 29, 2004, 11:39 AM   #3

You're right ... those are some bad shots . Here's my take of some things to try next time.

1. Look like you over exposed the lights. I would try bracketing your shots next time if your camera allows.
2. Also, a tripod is a must. Even if you brace the camera, you'll still get some movement. And, I would set the auto timer to take the picture so you don't introduce camera shake by pressing the release button.
3. Look at you camera and see if it has an option for Noise reduction or long exporsure. I would have thought putting it into night landscape would have turn this on, but check. This feature should be on for all shots over 1 sec to reduce noise. If you don't have that, then you may not be able to reduce the noise except during post processing.

Good luck
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 8:58 PM   #4

Make sure you set the ISO at the lowest setting, don't just leave it in auto. Also, make sure you use a tripod and the self timer!
SpeedyManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 5:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac
Make sure you set the ISO at the lowest setting, don't just leave it in auto. Also, make sure you use a tripod and the self timer!
Very good point. I think if you check the 3 from my post, then also use the lowest iso, you will have much better luck
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 3:02 PM   #6

Thanks for all of your help so far. Through just messing around with the cameras settings and using a tripod I have seen an improvement in my shots.

I am now using the self timer, 100 ISO and, and 4 second exposure with f4.9. (I don't know what the f4.9 means) :?

On the images i have taken so far I have noticed when i maximum zoom on to a building it still appears to come out slightly fuzzy and not that sharp. (i'll try to post a couple of pics soon!) I was just wondering why this happens? The image i am focusing on is around 1 miles away. I know that the light off these images will come out brighter during the night but is there anyway to dim the haze from around the lights on the building so you have more detail on the building. (you'll see what I mean by looking at the shot off the brooklyn bridge which, is in my link above. When you look at the Empire state i noticed a large white haze coming from the lights). I do have the Sharpen Image level on high at the minute?????

Could someone also recommend a good website to teach me the basics of night digital photography (or digital photography in general?) I'd like to learn more about it! Whats the point in buying a camera and not knowing how to use it correctly!

As a general rule of thumb, is it better to take long distance pictures at twilight instead of at night and close up shots once it is nighttime? Because when i go on my new vacation to NYC in sept I want to get things just right this time!

I'll try to post some of my pictures soon!

Thankyou for all of your help!!

Kindest Regards

James
Old Mar 31, 2004, 8:22 PM   #7

Default aperture

Quote:
Originally Posted by conall_boyle_obe
I am now using the self timer, 100 ISO and, and 4 second exposure with f4.9. (I don't know what the f4.9 means) :?
f4.9 is the aperture setting of the camera. This is the opening of the lens. Think of it this way: When your eye receives a bright light, the pupil closes (small aperture), when there's less light, the pupil opens (large aperture).

Small aperture = large number (for example: f16.0)
Large aperture = small number (f2.0)
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote