Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I should correct Japair here.
Y eah you really should! Thanx!

I realy have no idea where i dreamt thet Canon Mount stuff up from ops: :roll:

But hey atleast som one has a clue *looks @ eric s*

Quote:
Not all Nikon lenses & bodies have slow autofocus.
Well i tryed the F55, 75, 85 & even had a day with the F5 (this thing takes 8x AAs!!!). Maybe i had dud lens. Any way that my opinion
Japair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 3:39 PM   #12
NHL

Actually I had Canon for a long time and they did have FL before FD... you can actually turn older FD into FL by pulling the stop down lever over until it stucked into position... and then the FD morph from the bayonet collar into a twisting motion like most modern lenses (so there's several versions here as well)! :lol: :lol: :lol:

... I also have Minolta (and a used Nikon), they only had one change over. How about innovations though: :P
o Who invented AF?
o Who blazed the trail with Custom Functions (even removeable separate custom cards)?
o Do you know which Co. came out first with the TTL master/slave wireless flash system?
o How about distance (and focal lenght) encoding in the lens long before the EXIF was defined (it's displayed in the SLR viewfinder)?
o Remember E-TTL2 flash with distance integration that was just announced by Canon? Minolta trumped Nikon here as well with their Advance Distance Integration years before...
o Did anyone mentioned motorized zoom in their Xi lenses that keep the aspect ratio constant as one tracks the subject moving closer or further out?

Canon AF motor is strictly in the lens only. Nikon and Minolta have both, most lenses use the one built into the camera body... for longer lenses they shift the motor into the lens to speed it up (and some with ultrasonic as well). BTW Canon has "L", Minolta has "G"...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 11:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japair
But dont forget if you buy a 24mm lens it wont actualy work as a 24, i think its more like 36mm. I cant remember how this works, maybe someone else can explain
Japair is referring to the Field of View Crop Factor (FOV Crop). It is a 1.6x factor on the 300D (digital rebel) because the sensor is 1.6 times smaller than a 35mm negative (I guess that would make it a 21.875mm sensor). Simply multiply any give lens focal length by 1.6 to come up with the 35mm equivalent.

The Nikon camp has a slightly larger sensor and only has a FOV crop factor of 1.5x

But read the reviews to see what sensor is better, I believe most will say that Canon has less noise.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 12:57 AM   #14

Japair

You really thought the AF in the F5 was bad? I am impressed. I've used an F5, so I don't know from personal experience, but too many people have called it the best AF 35-mm for a very long time (some say the EOS 3 is better, some don't... I think its more likely brand loyalty talking and they are probably basically the same.) I do know the EOS 3 can focus track a peregrine falcon in flight. That is a 8-15 inch bird going roughly 20-30 miles per hour..... So at least Canon got something right. Others say the F5 is comparable, I assume it could do it too.

If the Minolta is better than the F5, then I start to wonder why more professional avian photographers haven't dump Canon and Nikon for it. A better AF means more keeper shots and more money. Itís not the best logic (lens/equipment investments prevent brand switches) but I still wonder as I frequent some forums with professional nature photographers and I have heard of only one using Minolta.

NHL

Thanks for the correction on the FL mount. I've never heard of it (but it pre-dates my photography interest by a lot, so I'm not surprised.)

So, if Minolta used distance in flash metering, than that might kill my personal theory that Canon didn't use it due to some licensing issue with Nikon (can't be a patent, I thought Nikon has used it for too long....) but maybe it was a rights/contract issues between Minolta/Nikon that prevented Canon.

Well, it was a good sounding theory, any ways.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 4:22 AM   #15

Quote:
You really thought the AF in the F5 was bad?
I didnt realy type that right did i:

F5 was obviously the best of the Nikons that i tryed (i think i even heard somwhere it will even work in space, just incase you fancy spending the weekend off-world!), but for the money they wanted (second had as well) i really couldnt justify the cost of it but i never could of aforeded it in the first place.

The AF was gd but i didnt think it was a patch on the D7. As for noise, it was a good noise (like the grunt of a V8 Engine in neutral with the pedal on the floor) but jus to much of it.

Another thing was the sheer weight of jus the body! Put the bats (all 8 of them) & add a decent zoom lens & a tripod would of been a must (unless i joined a gym)

The F5 is in no way a bad camera (they all have there good/bad points) but i just didnt think it was practical for me & what i wanted out of my camera. The D7 did everything the F5 did but it did it lighter, faster & a little bit cheaper. I cant think of a thing the F5 atualy dose better than the D7 but do correct me if you can

Quote:
If the Minolta is better than the F5...
Ofcorse this is my opinion & to be honest the only reason i can think that Minolta arnt on top of the Photography pile is the lack of 'public awareness' about them they make great inovative products across a wide varity of industrys. Canon & Nikon have so many advantages over Minolta. Both the companys have a huge fan base & massive sposorship deals etc... Minolta has none. Tough deal i guess but it pushes them to create better cameras with more user freindly ideals
Japair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:08 AM   #16

I do have to say, with NHL's lists of Minolta-first features, it's a bit sad that they aren't doing nearly as well as Canon or Nikon (heck, or Sony!) I like to award real innovation.... it keeps the industry moving foward (not just marketing innovation... like the DRebel. Nothing very new there, but a stunning price. I'll give them credit for doing it, but that is it.)

I guess that shows how much you need good marketing.

I certainly agree with you on the size and weight of the F5. From all I've heard it's a tank. I know some who like that, I think it would wear on me... specifically my neck! And last I checked, it's still almost $2,000 bucks. That is a lot of money.

I don't think I'd mind testing the F5 in space. A little difficult to get there, but what a view!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:41 AM   #17

Zendragon - it looks like the postings got a wee bit off topic :lol:

Best advice I can give is to try the D70 and the dRebel out and see which feel better to you and which are more intuitive. Canon has a bit of an advantage in the number of current lenses available and they have some lenses that are unique - a high mag macro and their tilt-shifts. But you can buy used MF Nikon lenses and use them, something handy for special lenses that won't be hauled out that often.

I find Nikon lenses to be a bit more expensive across the board, they have a bit more of a snob (no flames please) factor over the Canon.

I'm sure the D70 will be a nice camera - I've played a bit with a D100 and was impressed. The dRebel is a bit lighter but that could be a benefit - my wife prefers the weight of it to my Elan 7 which is about the same weight as a 10D.

If you're considering going to studio strobes you may want to see if the D70 has a PC flash connector, the Rebel doesn't although you can buy a hot shoe to PC adapter. The Canon 10D does FWIW.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:46 AM   #18
NHL

Quote:
I guess that shows how much you need good marketing
Heck they even made Digital cameras (dSLR) that no one knows about (while Canon and Nikon still wore diapers)! :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=21368

... and everyone think the E1 is so cool because it uses an 'APS' sized digital lens: I guess Minolta trumped Oly as well (been there, done that)! :P

Quote:
I certainly agree with you on the size and weight of the F5. From all I've heard it's a tank. I know some who like that, I think it would wear on me... specifically my neck! And last I checked, it's still almost $2,000 bucks. That is a lot of money.
I've picked up an immaculate used one last year for only $1299!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa
Zendragon - it looks like the postings got a wee bit off topic :lol:

Best advice I can give is to try the D70 and the dRebel out and see which feel better to you and which are more intuitive. Canon has a bit of an advantage in the number of current lenses available and they have some lenses that are unique - a high mag macro and their tilt-shifts. But you can buy used MF Nikon lenses and use them, something handy for special lenses that won't be hauled out that often.

I find Nikon lenses to be a bit more expensive across the board, they have a bit more of a snob (no flames please) factor over the Canon.

I'm sure the D70 will be a nice camera - I've played a bit with a D100 and was impressed. The dRebel is a bit lighter but that could be a benefit - my wife prefers the weight of it to my Elan 7 which is about the same weight as a 10D.

If you're considering going to studio strobes you may want to see if the D70 has a PC flash connector, the Rebel doesn't although you can buy a hot shoe to PC adapter. The Canon 10D does FWIW.
Thanks... and no prob on the off topic stuff. I have never seen a thread stay on topic for long and this was usefull info anyway.
Zendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:00 PM   #20

The D70 and D100 both do NOT have a pc socket. They both require a hot-shoe adapter.
I agree with you guys that Minolta does not get enough credit for the amazing products they have put out. However, regardless of how incredible the products a company has are... if people don't know about them, they won't buy them, and the company suffers.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote