Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 29, 2004, 3:33 PM   #1

Default Looking for Digital SLR

I currently own a Fujifilm S602 Z as well as a small Canon Powershot that I use for time when a small camera is needed.

I am ready to make the move into the DSLR world and start taking photos the way I used to before digital came along.

I would really like a camera that is pretty fast, so 2.5 FPS or better. It seems that for the price, the Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70 are in my price range, although if there was enough of a reason to spend a couple hundred more, I would consider it.

I take a ton of portrait stuff right now, indoor (in a home studio) and outdoors. I also take a fair amount of action photos too hence the speed issues.

I am looking into getting some strobes for the studio (using hot lights now) and really am not sure which DSLR camera would best suit my needs.

I am hoping that you can shed some like on which direction I should go. Thanks in advance.
Zendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2004, 4:38 PM   #2

Any of them would fit your needs. It comes down to a matter of personal choice between brands. Make sure you look at the cost and availability of additional lenses. For sports, you're going to want a fast zoom (70-200mm f/2.8 for example). For portraiture, you'll probably find something in the 24-70 range more suitable and lens speed is less of an issue unless you're going for lower light levels.

For serious sports work, you might need to look at the higher end bodies, but for casual work even the DRebel will do an adequate job unless you're into taking burst shots in short order.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:12 PM   #3

Thank you, that helps. I was reading where there was something said about the D70 flash sync vs the DRebel and I didn't really understand why the D70 was better. Are you aware of this?

As for lenses, is there a prefered lens choice between Canon and Nikon? Is one better than another, more afordable, etc..?
Zendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendragon
Thank you, that helps. I was reading where there was something said about the D70 flash sync vs the DRebel and I didn't really understand why the D70 was better.
The rebel flash sync is 1/80 of second where d70 can do 1/500 flash sync. As I understand it, this is primarily good for fill flash on bright sunny days.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdparker
Quote:
Thank you, that helps. I was reading where there was something said about the D70 flash sync vs the DRebel and I didn't really understand why the D70 was better.
The rebel flash sync is 1/80 of second where d70 can do 1/500 flash sync. As I understand it, this is primarily good for fill flash on bright sunny days.
Don't know about anyone else's DRebel but mine sync's to 1/200...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Don't know where you got that information....

The Digital Rebel features a top shutter speed of 1/4000, and a top standard flash sync speed of 1/200. These specifications are identical to the 10D, which is not surprising, since both models share the same shutter mechanism. Shutter speeds are choosable in 1/3 step increments.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:35 PM   #7

This is true the D-70 has a 1/500 flash sync speed the Rebel is 1/200. ..Flash sync Speed is the Camera and Flash working together to get the right amount of light and shutter speed correct...This is a big advantage for fast action shots taken indoors under low light conditions...If you set the D-70 to your flash setting, on the WB button you will see that the highest shutter speed you will be able to achieve will be 1/500 and on the Rebel 1/200 see the difference... simply put, faster shutter speed, sync Flash correct, equals sharper pictures... The cameras simply will not shoot faster than that... Good Luck..
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:01 PM   #8
NHL

... Don't forget though with either camera and their respective flash if you set the external flash to FP (or high-speed Sync), both cameras can synchronize with their respective flash at all shutter speed, including 1/4000. This is useful for outdoor fill and not for freezing any action though! :P

In normal practice the automatic flash pulse is much faster than the X-sync so even thouh the camera is set at 1/200 (or 1/500) the actual flash pulse is actually several magnitude shorter than this helping freezing the action all by itself. Studio strobes may have longer light duration on full-power however...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 3:40 AM   #9

Quote:
As for lenses, is there a prefered lens choice between Canon and Nikon? Is one better than another, more afordable, etc..?
Im a Minolta kid so i proberly jus dreamt this all up

Not only do Canon have almost infinate amounts of lens they also seem to change the Lens Mount like i change my underware (every day btw).

Where as Nikon havnt changed theres... ever!(Im not sure if thats jus there AF Lens or the MF Lens aswell) So in theory there isnt a lens that you wont able to use on ur new body

But dont forget if you buy a 24mm lens it wont actualy work as a 24, i think its more like 36mm. I cant remember how this works, maybe someone else can explain

I looked at both Nikons & Canons Before i went for my Mini. Personaly I thought Canons looked & felt tacky not very 'out of the house' worthy even the really high end models but they did have som of the features ive com to rely on in the Dynax 7. Nikons however look & feel like their bomb proof & they have the weight to back it up but completly lack the cool features Minolta add to there cams. & with there slow auto focus & Noisy drives i wasnt inpressed

Id recomend you find a cam shop with both you chosen bodys in stock & go give them a go. There seems to be very little between both of the companys & their cam specs. So its proberly gonna com down to personal preferance. Obviously no one can tell you what you want. See what feels right in your hand & up to your eye

Anyway i think you should hold out for the Minolta Digital Dynax 7 cause i can personaly Guarantee it will stomp all over the Nikon Canon junk

*Edit*

In answer to my own Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Best Bud (& everythin Camera Expert) Mr Adam Browne
'...the ccd sensor or cmos sensor is a smaller size than the 35mm film frame, so the image appeares magnified...'
Thank you Mr Browne
Japair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 12:53 PM   #10

I should correct Japair here.

I believe that Canon has changed lens mounts only once in a good long awhile.. 20 years? They switched from the FD mount to the EOS or EF mount. This was done with a complete drop in backwards functionality. I wasn't into photography then, but this must have been a very tough decision. Very painful in the short term and good in the long term.

I should technically point out that they have sorta created a new lens mount feature (not really a whole new mount) with the DRebel. That mount can take the kit lens for the DRebel. That lens won't work on "standard" EOS mounts. But the "standard" EOS lenses will work on the DRebel.

Nikon has changed their lens mount more times than you change your underware. But they have done it subtly and done their best to maintain backwards compatability. So you might not get 3D matrix metering on a 20 year old lens, but it will still work... you can still take a picture using it. This is why Nikon has a huge lens support chart in their camera body manuals... you need it.

Not all Nikon lenses & bodies have slow autofocus. both Nikon and Canon make lenses with very fast AF and some with very slow AF. All depends on which model you look at and how much money you are willing to pay. I have never used the Dynax 7, so I can't say if it has better AF but I wouldn't tar all of Nikon a having "slow auto focus".

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote