Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 29, 2004, 3:09 PM   #1

Default Quick as minolta z1, but without zoom: is there one?

Well, I almost desided about minolta z1, mostly becouse of it's pop-up flash and amazing SPEED (according to raviews) but some cons discourage me from buying it. besides i don't really need x 10 zoom, just speed . Is there a camera with such a quik AF and shutter lag as z1?
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2004, 6:35 PM   #2

I don't know if you're looking for another brand or not, but the Minolta A1 and A2 have the same speed (I believe) but less zoom, 7x or so. They also have the anti-shake technology. What cons steered you away from the Z1?
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 2:38 AM   #3

well , actually I was looking for a more compact camera for family use, but was amased by the speed of z1, a1 is too expensive for me ... I wish there was more compact camera with zoom x3-4, nomore, and fast as z1. Oh well...
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 12:31 PM   #4

Fuji F700 comes close in speed. It's one of the fastest pocket cams. ALso has usable high ISO settings, unlike other pocket cams. APprox. $300 USD online.

-Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by driliagor
well , actually I was looking for a more compact camera for family use, but was amased by the speed of z1, a1 is too expensive for me ... I wish there was more compact camera with zoom x3-4, nomore, and fast as z1. Oh well...
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 1:44 PM   #5

Staying with Minolta, the Xg is def worth a look, ive got nothin but prase for mine.

This cam put the compact in err compact!

Start up time of .8 of a second, i cant find any next shot times but it cant b much more than a second.

It also uses the same 'CxProcess II' tech Im not sure how it affects the cam speed but it gives great pictures!
Japair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:20 AM   #6

If you want something small the Pentax S4 is a good deal now that the S4i is out. It is 4Mp, has a 3X optical zoom and fits in an Altoids tin. They have a rebate going on it. The shutter lag and cycle times are about equal to the Z1 – maybe a little better in some cases. It doesn’t have a burst mode though. It takes surprisingly good pictures and has stuff like manual focus you wouldn’t expect to find on a tiny camera.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote