Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 29, 2004, 3:10 PM   #1

Default Familiar w/ ViewSonic G90FB/NEC FE990 monitors? Other recs?

These are both 19" CRT monitors and am wondering if anyone has had experience with them, if so, opinions?

I'm begining to think my monitor may be heading for the graveyard and think that I better find out which monitors are well liked amongst digital photographers.
The two I've listed are both I've come across, that will be within our budget. Opinions on these or other recommendations would be well received.

My current monitor is the Optiquest Q71 17" and is about 5 years old.
Lately and periodically, around the edges of the screen, the monitor will 'pinch' in slightly and then quickly revert back to a normal state. While not a problem now, I suspect that this means my monitor is begining to die.
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:00 PM   #2

While I don't know about that specific viewsonic monitor, I have used them in the past and been very happy with them.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:12 PM   #3

From what I've heard in the past, it does seem like many folks do favor the ViewSonic.

It'd be nice to hear the monitor of choice amongst photographers. I guess I'll have to get in and try to figure the specs and how that relates to images.

From what I understand, the flat monitors appear more crisp, in regard to detail?
Old Mar 30, 2004, 11:41 PM   #4

What I would suggest is going to sound a little odd.

Go dig around at www.pcmag.com. I don't trust them very much since they were purchased (I wasn't convinced that ziff davis publishing didn't cater to their advertisers in the first place, but I have less faith in c-net.) But one thing they have always done in the past is do a very good writeup about the technology before the actual review.

What you want to read is that writeup. What the different grill technologies are. What a good dot pitch is for what size monitor. Things like that. Then you'll know how to apply it to the different monitors. Personally, I prefer a flatter screen because then it won't reflect background light as much (I have a window behind me at home.) But I don't know if they are inherently sharper.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 2:03 PM   #5

Eric,

I hunted around pcmag without much success. I wish they had an advanced search option. I was pulling up pages of information, with little to do with what I was searching for. lol

I have enquired elsewhere and thought to mention here in case you or others would like to hear what I was recommended. The Nec/Mitsubishi seem to be highly recommended as well as the Lacie monitors.
I had never heard of "Lacie" before but apparently they produce great monitors :?:

I'll more likely go with either a Nec/Mitsubishi, Viewsonic and possibly the Lacie. Models dependent on budget and reviews.

Anyway, thought to post what I've heard in case others are thinking about monitors or will have to.