Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 31, 2004, 8:56 AM   #11

You should e-mail Canon Canada and ask them.

Months ago I asked Fuji Canada about the warranty issue.

The issue came up when I almost bought a camera from a place, can't recall the name, in Canada. You bought the camera from a Canadian company but the cameras were actually shipped from the USA. It struck me funny so I inquired about it.

There were two issues. They said that a warranty was only valid in the country of sale. Therefore if you or anyone else, including an on-line Canadian retailer, bought the camera in the US the warranty was only valid there. They also said that warranties were only valid if you bought the camera from an authorized dealer.
Fuji, and I gather the other camera companies as well, don't recognize un-authorized dealers as they may be selling defective goods, or grey market goods, or whatever. So no warranty coverage.

Anyway, the place (who Fuji knew about right away) was not an authorized dealer, according to Fuji, so they would not honor the warranty. And no warranty coverage on USA cameras in Canada either. Double whammy! So I didn't buy the camera.

James
JamesDFarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:40 AM   #12

Hey,

I, being pessimistic, assumed there wouldn't be any warranty and went for the grey market item. I purchased a 550EX (instead of the 420EX...) yesterday through their site. With shipping etc., will be saving close to $200 CAD. I'd have to pay tax if I bought here anyway, so even if I'm charged tax on that it doesn't make a difference. The only thing that could make a difference would be duty, and duty would not = $200.

Anyway, decided I wasn't yet fully researched on lenses, so I didn't pull the trigger on that part of the purchase. I'll see how things go with the flash (since it is less fragile than lenses) to determine if B&H's shipping process is careful enough for a lens purchase.

Graeme
Graeme Shiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 4:18 PM   #13

I emailed Canon Canada and they said they would honour a camera bought from an authorized dealer in the US if it was a US market lens or flash.

I'm not surprised since there is so much cross border shopping going on, plus all the snowbirds too.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 4:37 PM   #14

Now THAT is sweet! Wow, considering the price difference, I'll definitely be buying my lenses from B&H.

Graeme
Old Apr 1, 2004, 5:27 PM   #15

That's Great News!

Let us know what you get and how it is.

James
Old Apr 2, 2004, 3:39 PM   #16

Okay, my order showed up. I ordered the 550EX flash from B&H. Order made on Tuesday after the cutoff. I had to talk with one of their representatives on Wednesday (funny, they only asked me to verify that it was a residence and not a business), and then they shipped it on Thursday Evening. It arrived at my house this morning at 11am.

As promised by the use of UPS Express, no brokerage fees. I did have to pay the Tax, which I would have had to do here anyway. Anyway, after taxes I saved $200 CAD. Pretty damn good, no?

As for packing, it came in a box filled with those inflated plastic bags that I've seen used quite often. Quite secure, and everything came in one piece. I'll definitely be a repeat customer after this, especially considering Canon's response regarding warranties.

Well...time to go take some shots with the new flash!

Graeme
Old Apr 2, 2004, 5:03 PM   #17

Great News!

Glad you got your stuff safe and sound.

Sounds like that place is a keeper!

James