Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 30, 2004, 12:36 PM   #1

Default Canadian buying lenses and flash from USA?

Hey guys,

Purchased a Canon Digital Rebel couple weeks ago, and looking to buy a lens and flash. Specifically the EF 28-135mm IS USM, the 420EX and a hood for the lens.

Now, if I buy through B&H, with UPS Express (1-2 day) shipping and currency conversion, it will cost me $846 CAD.

If I buy from the cheapest prices I can find in Canada, it will cost me $1080 CAD.

That's $234 difference!!!! Is there any reason why I would not want to do this? I understand for camera bodies it isn't wise due to warranty issues, but for lenses and flashes?

Keep in mind too that I'd have to drive for about an hour and a half total plus pay parking if I buy it here in Canada. If I buy from B&H it is to my front door.

Thanks,
Graeme
Graeme Shiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2004, 1:02 PM   #2

Does the first amount include the Duty (if any) and
GST and PST that UPS will charge you in addition
to the Brokerage (Customs)?

James
JamesDFarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 1:08 PM   #3

Default Re: Canadian buying lenses and flash from USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Shiomi

Now, if I buy through B&H, with UPS Express (1-2 day) shipping and currency conversion, it will cost me $846 CAD.

If I buy from the cheapest prices I can find in Canada, it will cost me $1080 CAD.

Thanks,
Graeme
From what I have heard from Candians, it's always preferable/cheaper to have items shipped across teh border via USPS. Something to do with the duties? Perhaps you should look into this?

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 1:20 PM   #4

Whenever I order from the US I always ask that they ship it via USPS. But that doesn't mean you won't have to pay the duty, taxes, etc.... Sometimes Customs doesn't catch it and it doesn't cost you anything. Canada Post will just deliver it. If they (Customs) do, they get Canada Post to collect the duty (if any) and the GST and PST from you before they turn over the package. They (Canada Post) will also charge you $5.00 for handling/whatever.

But UPS will definately collect everything and instead of the $5.00 charge, they will charge you Customs Brokerage, which is usually calculated on the total value of the shipment. Can run you $25.00 or $30.00 or even more.

That's why I ask for items to be shipped USPS. As I said, it doesn't mean you won't have to pay the duty and taxes, but sometimes you get lucky and get away with it.

Please note however that many on-line vendors have deals with UPS, or FedEx, etc... and will only ship stuff that way. They won't oblige your request for USPS.

James
Old Mar 30, 2004, 1:23 PM   #5

If you use UPS Express or Expedited, then the cost of shipping includes clearing customs. If you use UPS standard, then you pay brokerage fees. For all, including USPS, you pay whatever the Canadian gov't decides for duty.

Generally I do use USPS as it is as cheap as UPS standard, but charges only $5 brokerage vs. usually around $30 for UPS standard. However, generally with USPS they don't give you a tracking number, and the service sometimes takes awhile. Last time I bought something from the US I had it shipped via USPS and, while brokerage fees were low, it took 6 weeks to arrive and with no tracking number I had no idea where the items were.

With close to a thousand dollars worth of camera equip....I'd want to know.

Graeme
Old Mar 30, 2004, 1:32 PM   #6

Hey, if you check out UPS's website, it says:

For UPS Worldwide Express:
- Door-to-door, customs-cleared service

For UPS Worldwide Expedited:
- All-inclusive rates including customs clearance

For UPS Standard to Canada:
- Rates do not include customs clearance
- Brokerage charges, duties, and taxes will be billed to importer unless otherwise indicated by shipper

B&H's page on shipping charges indicates the same, that Express and Expedited include customs clearing charges.

Graeme
Old Mar 30, 2004, 1:35 PM   #7

Very good point. I agree. Postal stuff can get lost. Have you ever tried to collect on the insurance on a lost parcel. LOL!

For that amount of value I would order it by UPS, or FedEx, or whomever. Just make sure that all the costs are figured out to see if it is cheaper all totaled up.

James
Old Mar 30, 2004, 1:42 PM   #8

But outside of shipping, any particular problems folks have had having lenses or flashes sent?

Considering my location and B&H's location, chances are with UPS Express it'd show up overnight (if I order it before 3:30 on the day I order it). For the extra $20 (which still puts me WAY under retail here in Canada)...I'd say it's worth it.

Graeme
Old Mar 30, 2004, 1:50 PM   #9

I have only ordered from them once. Some ink cartridges.
It was packed really well. And for sure you would need
the lenses to be packed really really well. Hopefully some others will chime in if they have ordered cameras and/or lenses and say how the packing was.

James
Old Mar 31, 2004, 8:24 AM   #10

I'm considering doing a big purchase from B&H too and having it shipped to Canada. Since it would be close to $2000 CAD it won't be USPS! I'd only have to pay GST & brokerage, I've never had PST collected on mail order purchases.

What about warranty? Will Canon Canada give me a hard time if I buy a Canon USA lens from a USA dealer? If they won't honour the warranty I guess it would be better to buy grey market and have a warranty with the store vs. no warranty at all.

Can anyone comment on Canon and Sigma warranty issues on cross-border shopping?

What about good photo shops in Buffalo area? It's closer than Toronto for me.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote