Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 29, 2002, 4:11 AM   #1

Default Fujifilm s602- subtantially better image quality than Fujifi

Hi there. I currently own a 601Z and really likes it, the image quality is pretty good. I am thinking of getting a S602 zoom, but I read Steve's conclusion and it stated that the 601z has comparable image quality-- is that true? why?

I went to a dealer today and tried out the s602, i was told the camera functions very well at 6 megapixel with little distortion or noise- is that true?

s602 owners or enthusiasts, pls advice
dorae006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2002, 4:13 AM   #2

sorry correction here: I own a F601 not 601Z.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 12:00 PM   #3

I have downloaded test images from both. I thought they were very comparable if a little soft. Nothing that sharpening didn't put right.

In a recent test it was said the 6megapixel (interpolated) setting was about as good as 4megapixels therefore a massive file for little gain.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 12:09 PM   #4

in which ways is 602 a better camera than f601? if it doesn't produce better pictures..
Old Aug 29, 2002, 12:54 PM   #5

Bigger zoom, takes AA batteries, takes various memory cards, probably a lot more flexible for the enthusiast. Have a detailed look at the specs such as F number range and exposure times.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 3:36 PM   #6

I have the S602Z and have compared the image quality with the 601 and see little relevant differences. I don't use the six megapixel mode, I can't see enough differences to waste the temporary storage.

On a feature basis, it's tough to compete with the 602. It's really a well thought out camera. But unless you have the need for the higher capacity storage or post capture, etc., I wouldn't think it would be much of an "upgrade" to switch.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:19 AM   #7

Lin,
thanks for the info....i am looking for a good upgrade option..do u have suggestions? What do you think of the Minolta f100 and Leica Diglux?
I am looking for a camera with much sharper images than the fuji f601 plus a better feature set--so that when I can notice a big difference in the upgrade.
thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:27 AM   #8

I really don't have a good handle on either of those cameras. It's going to be difficult to beat the feature set on the S602Z - to my knowledge there are no current digicams which offer much more in this department.

As far as sharpness is concerned, I've not noticed a great deal of difference in most of my digicams (20 currently) including the S602. They can all be sharpened either internally with firmware settings by menu, or by using PhotoShop or other software.

To really improve on the image quality substantially, you may want to consider something like a Canon D30 or D60 or a Nikon D100. With these cameras - especially the two Canons, it takes a little work in PhotoShop, but the images can be made incredibly sharp and clean. The consumer cameras all have more noise and distortion (chromatic aberration, blooming, etc.) than any of the removable lens sSLR's.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:57 AM   #9

Lin,
thanks a lot for the reply. I think I will get a s602 for now. Do you know if there is a US based online digital camera merchant that accepts Paypal?
Old Aug 30, 2002, 8:17 AM   #10

I really don't know about Paypal and U.S. merchants. Most of the U.S. camera shops accept all major credit cards, so even if they don't have an agreement with Paypal, you can probably still purchase from them.

Best regards,

Lin