Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 1, 2004, 7:49 AM   #1

Default Image quality : CMOS v CCD

Tossing and turning between a 10D and Canon Pro1....even though the Pro 1 has the edge in the MP race, does it follow that the CMOS of a DSLR will always out perform an equivalent CCD in terms of base image quality?

I'm corncerned about the noise issue with the Pro 1 (although I guess software could sort that) but also very aware that I don't use the EOS 3, 28 - 135 IS and 550 simply because for 90% of the time my G2 works and I'm a definate digital convert...trouble is the next purchase could do with being right - I may have to live with it for some time!!!

Thanks for any advise / opinions, Tony.
tonykwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2004, 10:16 AM   #2

Quote:
does it follow that the CMOS of a DSLR will always out perform an equivalent CCD in terms of base image quality
This is not true. Howver, you have many more variables at issue in this case then just the sensor topology. If you only intend to use lowest ISO, you can with competant post processing, get results just as *good as the Canon DSLR or even better depending on the end print target size since the aspect ratio of the Canon PRO1 lends more efficiency to the sensor proporetions of most popular print sizes. However, push that ISO up and the 10D will jump ahead since the larger sensor has superior thermal disappation.

-Chris

*By 'just as good', I am not considering depth of field, focus speed or possible lens quality issues.[/quote]
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 7:42 AM   #3

As a general rule CMOS produces inferior images to CCDs. The advantage of CMOS is that it's very cheap to make and uses very little power, so your batteries last longer. Most of the digital camera manufacturers use CCDs because of their superior image quality. Canon are the only major make that uses CMOS and seems to have overcome the image quality problems - or so everyone seems to say. The Canon SLR pictures don't look that great to me - soft and washed out - but may be that's just the camera settings.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote