Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
...it maintains f2.8 all the way to 12X.
Thats worth the cost & more! I wish i could get a SLR Lens with a range of 35-420mm that could keep F2.8 all the way (I also wish id be able to afored it!).

That really is somthing to boast about

Why have i never heard of this camera before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technophile
...Minolta's got the anti-shake in the body..., ...Panny has it in the lens itself...
I know what you mean. But do both systems work to the same goal though?

Humm teleconverters on DSLR's. Would they actually work considering the distance magnification thats already a problem?

Jus thinking about it makes my head hurt, my poor brain :?
Japair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 1:59 PM   #12

I love my FZ10. I got clear pics of Dean in Des Moines from halfway back in the hall with a teleconverter, clear enough to run front page of my newspaper.

It's a great, great camera. I LOVE the zoom.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 5:01 PM   #13

Whether the image stabilization affects the lens or CCD seems to make no difference in practice. Many people have put teleconverters on their FZ10s and they seem to work well. You have to replace the stock lens shade with another adapter to avoid vignetting at wider angles. Even the best converter costs a little in image quality and a lot in light.

I am looking forward to the Minolta DSLR and agree they probably have been working with stabilization of the CCD so it is a mature technology for the DSLR. It appears they might be considering using the nice EVF from the A2 on the DSLR as well. Two interesting approaches.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 6:19 PM   #14

here is a review of the minolta z2. i don't think it has image stabilization.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...aminoltaz2.asp
lodingi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 2:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodingi
here is a review of the minolta z2. i don't think it has image stabilization.
The Z1 and Z2 don't have IS. Currently the only cameras that have it are the Panasonic FZ10, Minolta A1 and A2 and the new Canon IS (forget its name). Also various Canon SLR lenses have it (at great cost). Olympus used to have it one of their big zoom digitals but not any more. Having used IS I wouldn't now buy a camera without it - it's that big an advance. Basically it gives you another 3 stops.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 11:48 AM   #16

Default Re: 10x optical zoom digicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodingi
i think i am going to get a 10x or 12x optical zoom digicam. i would prefer a digicam with at least 5 mp. has anyone heard of any new models coming out with these features? i know that new models should hit the shelves this month. thanks.
There is only one that is worth going after, if a superzoom digicam is what you want

PANASONIC FZ10 with LEICA IS lens.
chiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 11:30 PM   #17

"Normal" in 35mmSLR cameras was considered to be 50-55mm for years. Most digital Zoom cameras start in the Wide Angle range ... thus giving up some of their "zoom" range to reach normal before going on to telephoto.

If you are looking for "reach" look at the range as well as the zoom factor. Some of 8X zooms do not reach 200mm. Most of the 10X zooms are around 360-380mm. The 12X the FZ10 hits 420 and and there is a add on lens available that takes it to to about 650mm (if I remember correctly). The FZ10 also maintains a full 2.8 aperture over its entire zoom range (very good trick).

I have been waiting for a good long zoom Digital Camera for years. I have just about decided to give up and spend the money to get a DSLR (or wait another year).
LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 11:35 PM   #18
Administrator

Our Minolta DiMAGE Z2 review was posted on 4/1/04

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 3:34 AM   #19

Default regarding steve's minolta z2 review

Interesting , but altough writing an extensive review, he didn't adress some problematic issues with z1, e.g more than usual chromatic abberation and "lens rattle" , where there corrected in z2? :?:
I'd like to know this before I buy. Pity no other sites haven't poster their review of z 2 yet.
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 12:35 PM   #20

Interesting mechanism for the viewfinder, but it still only goes to 380mm. Further it is "aproximately" 4 Mpixels (3,871,488). By all rights it belongs in the 3-4 Mpixel class not the 4-5 Mpixel class (ya.. I know I am picky).
LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote