Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 2, 2004, 3:39 PM   #1

Default disk size of panoramic (stitched) photos

Hi all,

Quick question. I took my first panoramic shot roughly a year ago on my honeymoon in St. John (Canon powershot s50). Was made taking 4 photos and stitching together with software that came with the camera.

Shouldn't the disk size roughly be 4x a normal picture from this camera? I'm at work and not able to restitch, but brought what I thought was the stitched photo to work. It seems to roughly be the same size (~ 1.8 MB) as my other photos on this camera.

So basically, the file of 4 pictures stitched together from this camera (5MP) is the same disk size as 1? Does it sound like I missed a setting somewhere in the photo stitch software to not downsize or something?

I will double check again when I get home, but thought I'd check here. Trying to get a nice panoramic print from a lab for the anniversary (coming up Monday!) Want it to be best quality with what I have, and this sizing issue worries me.

Thanks!
huggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2004, 3:48 PM   #2

well i don't think the size will make a huge difference unless your getting it printed professionally or are going any bigger than 8/10....

that is strange though....don't really remember my pano's file size :-\
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 5:08 PM   #3

I donít have the Canon software, but Iím guessing it is a setting. If you choose large size in the Oly software you get a much larger file.

I always save as a TIFF or PSD after working with an image. A 5Mp image from my Oly saves as a 14.4Mb TIFF. Two shots stitched with the camera held vertically to simulate a wide-angle shot gives a TIFF of around 23 Mb.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 5:20 PM   #4

unfortunately they were shot jpeg style (not raw), but yes i've found the setting to save as tiff, and it creates much bigger file (i know i'm not gaining anything i lost in jpeg compression, but this is probably the best i can do with what i have right?)

thanks for the feedback!
Old Apr 2, 2004, 5:34 PM   #5

I was just giving TIFF numbers because that is what I am familiar with. My little Oly takes only JPG and if I saved as JPG at the same quality the stitched image would still be considerably larger than a single shot. JPG is a red herring here Ė you are probably still missing a setting in your software to give a full sized stitch.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 6:58 PM   #6

Slipe is right: it is in some settings which you might or might not be able to change.

The first setting is the size of the output pano in pixels, in particular, height. Check to see if the output pano has about the same pixel height as your original - likely will be a bit smaller if it is cropped to a flat top and bottom. A bit larger if it shows the bows and jags of stitching at the top and bottom.

The next setting is the amount of JPEG compression. More compression after stitching would explain that. To test, take one of your originals and compress it by a set amount with your photo editor. Then output a TIFF from your stitiching program and compress it with the same editor by the same JPEG compression. Make the file size comparison between those two.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:17 PM   #7

Iím not familiar with the Canon Panorama Stitching process but you should remember that usually each of the pictures taken to produce a panorama requires about a 15-20% overlap for adjacent images. When you factor in this and the other variables such as the jpeg compression (quality setting) this might explain the difference in size. Also if your camera has a special setting for the production of a panorama the images may be of a smaller size.
deexley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 5:43 PM   #8

thanks for your help guys...won't be able to check this for a few days, but i do appreciate the comments.

I am using panoramic mode on the camera, so the individual shots may in fact be less than normal, plus accounting for the overlap is a good consideration.

I think there's probably something in the stitch software I missed, and I will look at this in a day or so.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 5, 2004, 6:19 PM   #9

I took an 8-frame panorama with my Casio QV-5700 a few weeks ago.

Each 2560x1920 frame, saved as 'normal' jpeg was about 1700KB. I added extra space at top and bottom of each frame to make square 2560x2560 frames (to avoid cropping off of important material), and compressed them a little more to approx 1400KB each. When stitched in the freebie 'Pixmaker Lite' the result is highly acceptable when zoomed in upon, and is 7375KB.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote