Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 2, 2004, 8:30 PM   #1

Default Canon Rebel 35mm and Digital 300d

I have a Canon EOS Rebel 35mm camera. I bought a 70-300mm zoom lens and a 2x for it. I am thinking of getting the Rebel EOS 300D digital. Question is I'm sure the lens will fit, but will the quality be the same? Will I see any limitations with the zoom lens?
harleyearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2004, 8:52 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Canon Rebel 35mm and Digital 300d

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyearl
I have a Canon EOS Rebel 35mm camera. I bought a 70-300mm zoom lens and a 2x for it. I am thinking of getting the Rebel EOS 300D digital. Question is I'm sure the lens will fit, but will the quality be the same? Will I see any limitations with the zoom lens?
The lens on the Digital Rebel will have different focal length coverage due to the imager being smaller than a 35mm film frame. You must multiply the focal length by 1.6x to get the equivalent coverage on the Digital Rebel.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 10:39 PM   #3

Would I be better off to buy the Canon Supershot A80 for $350.00 for my digital camera and keep my 35mm for other photos. I like to take wildlife photos and late in the day as the sun is going down could be an issue. Any ideas?
harleyearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 10:52 PM   #4

The extra reach that the digital rebel would give you is a huge win for wildlife.

Add on top of that the ability to switch ISO on the fly to increase shutter speed as needed and you can take pictures in lower light without having to push your film.

If you can aford it, go with the Digital Rebel.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:56 AM   #5

I would recommend buying the 300D with the kit lens. It is an 18mm - 55mm (35mm equivalent is 28.8mm - 88mm) decent lens. You will not have overlapping coverage but with the two lenses you will have the workings of a very decent system.

Keep in mind though the kit lens is an EFS mount and only fits the 300D, it will not work on your film version of the rebel.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote