Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:52 PM   #1
tnd

Default Print Question...

this might be a newbie questin but i was wondering on the canon s500 it says that the size

Small
640 x 480
Superfine 249 KB - 120 pics
Fine 150 KB - 196 pics
Normal 84 KB - 337 pics

if i wanted to get regular 4x6 prints, would the quality be good??
tnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2004, 3:28 AM   #2

I have a thumbrule, that says...

If you already know from the beginning that you wants prints - shoot with the best quality (Large and superfine). Why compromise ? Quality is better than quantity right ?
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 8:03 AM   #3

640x480 is not enough resolution for 4x6. Your medium #2 is about 2 mp and medium #1 is about 3 mp. 2 mp is adaquate for 4x6 but 3 mp will do beter. I agree with Klaus though, It is often best to use the best resolution and lowest compression. Higher compression will show. Higer resolution will allow you to crop a little if you like, allow you to print larger if you hapen to get a really good shot, and guarentee the best quality print. Why buy a 5 mp camera if you are not going to use it?
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Why buy a 5 mp camera if you are not going to use it?
exactly my point!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 6:51 PM   #5

Without a doubt, the highest possible size/resolution produces the best prints. 640 prints are grainy. Dreadful.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 2:41 AM   #6

I actually have a digital camera that I bought a couple of years ago that does 640x480. I paid 20$ after rebate for it. It's an argus. Now days (a couple of years make a diffrence), even cheap web cams have this resolution. It is not quite good enough for prints though. Spend the money to get a biger cf card (unless you already have one). You paid a lot of money for a camera that has high resolution. Take advantage of it. IF you like, take images at diffrent resolutions and have them printed. 2mp is the minimum for 4x6, but 3mp does beter (I talk from experience as I own an a40 and an a70). You may not get a big improvment going to the highest resolution, but you will get improvment. If nothing else, it will mask the jpeg compression.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:15 AM   #7

My guess is that you are wondering whether you could get by without buying a memory card. You canít.

If the Canon S500 would consume your entire budget and you havenít bought it yet, buy something cheaper you can budget in a memory card with. 256Mb is the basic size for a 5Mp camera. You can get a 5Mp Minolta G500 plus a 256Mb SD card and have money left over from a S500. A G500 with enough memory is almost infinitely better than a S500 with the card that comes with it.

And the G500 is a very good camera with full manual plus aperture and shutter priority Ė it even has a basic zone manual focus. It doesnít have the orientation sensor of the S500 and doesnít have a focus assist light, but it focuses decently in low light and I personally donít like having to depend on an assist light.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote