Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 4, 2004, 3:43 PM   #1

Default Pentax 1*st versus A2 or 5800

I think I'm in the same boat as many people out there with a 35mm camera, decent lenses, dedicated flash, but want to make the switch to a Digital DSL. I have a "point and shoot" digital camera now (Kodak 4300 - great outdoor photos, lousy indoor), and ready to move up to something new.

I can get into a Minolta A2 with dedicated flash for around $1,100. For another $150 I can buy the 1*st body and use my existing 35mm equipment.

Help!!!
rtnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2004, 4:00 PM   #2
Administrator

Seeing as how you already have the lenses and flash to work with it ... I'd say go for the SLR if you have the money to spare. Give me a real optical TTL viewfinder and interchangeable lenses over a fixed-lens camera with an EVF any day!

The other cameras are great for those that don't want to further invest in lenses and or want something smaller and lighter in weight but there's just no outclassing a real SLR.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 5:15 PM   #3

Default Pentax 1*st

Thanks for the reply. BTW - great shots of Dunedin Causeway. I live in Clearwater myself and have spent many hours up there sailboarding and fishing.
rtnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 2:42 PM   #4

Do you mean *ist? Pentax? That's what I got and love it. I had all other Pentax stuff for my K1000 and found that while lots was compatible, some wasn't, and the stuff that was is too old to be as much fun as the newer stuff with the bells and whistles. I got my camera for $1179 (body only) from CompUPlus. I see they now are out of stock. I was very pleased with their service. My vote goes to the SLR!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 11:03 PM   #5

"while lots was compatible, some wasn't"

I am looking VERY hard at the Pentax (mainly because the P&S's just do not have the reach I want). What kind of things were not compatible.

Cheers,

Lewis

http://www.keywild.com
LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 7:46 AM   #6

My lenses were compatible, but fully manual. So the aperture reading didn't work on the Pentax in certain modes. It could take a picture but it was all manual - focus, f-stop, etc. Then, when I decided to get new auto lenses, the diameter of the lens wasn't the same - so my Cokin filter system doesn't work without additional rings. And the protective filters also didn't work. And, of course, I needed a memory card, extra batteries and charger. I have a really nice electronic flash for my K1000 but the hotshoe on the istD is a different size = there goes the flash and the synch cord. And the shutter release is mechanical vs. the electronic one (I assume) you need for the istD - I didn't want to try mine because with my luck, I'd end up punching a hole in the camera!
Old Apr 6, 2004, 3:45 PM   #7

Thanks for the information.

I knew about the remote and have given up complaining about it. The camera companies figure if they all make propritary remotes then they have another source of income (heaven forbid one could use a $5.00 universal mech. cable).

I also expected the old glass (in my case telescopes) to be fully manual. I already have CF cards and rechargable AA batteries (two of the reasons the Pentax appeals to me).

New lens will require new filters/rings. To be expected I guess.

Thanks again ... I am still lusting after a *istD.
LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 3:48 PM   #8

It was the best $1500 I spent (in recent memory, the ONLY $1500 I spent! )