Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 4, 2004, 10:12 PM   #1

Default How to transfer pics without the kodak software?

Can I still use the photo dock that came with my Kodak DX 6490 camera to transfer pics from my camera to the hard drive without installing the easy share software? I want to be able to just download the pics directly to my pictures file on my hard drive with out having to go through the easy share software. I have a card reader on my epson printer that shows up as any F: drive, but my camera does not show up as a seperate drive. I have Adobe Photo Shop Elements so I don't really care about the easy share software, other than I still want to be able to download pics by just hitting the button on my dock. What do you guys use to do this?

Jake
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2004, 9:45 AM   #2

I have a Kodak DX4330 (Easyshare also) and I never liked the Easyshare software. I went the card-reader way. But before I got my card reader, getting the pictures without the software was a matter of connecting the camera via the USB port (I believe the dock is essentially the same thing) and then it appeared as a removable drive. It was just a matter of copying from the camera to my hard drive.

The installation CD added some sort of driver to allows seeing the camera as a removable drive. Without the driver, it appeared inside "Cameras and Scanners" which is a bit more complex to handle (it has a picture transfer wizard) than the copy/paste method using Windows Explorer.

I now use a program called cam2PC which pops up whenever I insert the memory card into the reader. It makes transferring pictures and videos a snap.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 4:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisr
I have a Kodak DX4330 (Easyshare also) and I never liked the Easyshare software. I went the card-reader way. But before I got my card reader, getting the pictures without the software was a matter of connecting the camera via the USB port (I believe the dock is essentially the same thing) and then it appeared as a removable drive. It was just a matter of copying from the camera to my hard drive.

The installation CD added some sort of driver to allows seeing the camera as a removable drive. Without the driver, it appeared inside "Cameras and Scanners" which is a bit more complex to handle (it has a picture transfer wizard) than the copy/paste method using Windows Explorer.

I now use a program called cam2PC which pops up whenever I insert the memory card into the reader. It makes transferring pictures and videos a snap.
I have the kodak software installed right now, but my camera doesn't show up as a seperate drive. The only way I can get my pics to download into the computer is by turning my easy software on in the computer. If I don't at least have it running in the background, it won't even transfer my pics from the camera to the computer. That is why i haven't uninstalled the kodak software yet, because i don't want to be screwed and not be able to upload my pics. Anybody else have an opinion? Thanks for your reply luisr.

Jake
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote