Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 6, 2004, 8:25 AM   #1

Default help with picture quality on a Sony dsc-p10

I recently went from a sony 1 megapixel to a 5 m-pixel dsc-p10. I love the size and functions, but the camera just doesn't seem to perform as well as i thought it would indoors. Haven't used it outdoors yet, but taking pictures if my son indoors during the day i can see some distortion on his face...it just doesn't look as perfect as i thought it would. I am mainly using the auto functions, and on the highest quality settings.

Do I need a different camera..I'm not stuck on Sony..if there's something better for $400. This is what I paid.

Please let me know if there's something I can do to get better clarity. By the way, i was using flash on normal setting.

Thanks
tepjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2004, 3:14 PM   #2

That is the same problem i was having with the P10. I took mine back and got a full refund. That is one of the cool things about circuit city, money back gaurantee. I just recently bought the Kodak DX 6490, and I love it. It takes much better pics than the P10 i had. Actually, it does everything better than the P10 i had. I got it for $425 on www.newegg.com. Awesome company if you have never heard of them before. I ordered it on a thursday evening and it was at my door on monday before noon. That was with free shipping too. I can not stress how good this company is to deal with.

Jake
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 3:52 PM   #3
Administrator

I bought a P10 last July, and returned it about 1 week later (after trying lots of settings trying to get decent pics).

I'm now using a Konica KD-510z (Minolta G500) which I'm very happy with.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 7:51 PM   #4

Am I starting to see a trend with this camera or what? I'm just glad that i'm not the only one that hated this camera.

Jake
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:22 PM   #5

Yes,

I started out with a DSC-S70 and was very impressed with the quality and thought it would run throughout the sony family. So I bought a DSC-F717, but my wife didn't like it because she thought it was too big and bulky for every day use (we're not pros), and it is. So I sold it and got a DSC-P10.

Let me say, the P10 is the poorest shooting sony camera I have ever put my hands on. I thought by going to 5.0MP, I would be gaining quality. The F717 did do this, but the P10 shoots horrible pictures. Any motion at all, whether it's the camera moving or subject moving and the picture is no good.

I shot thousands of pictures with the S70, used them to make catalogs and put up a website (www.extremausa.com), and only had a few bad pictures taken with it, it was so automatic. With the P10, 85 out of 100 pictures are throw aways.

Wish I had never bought it.

I want another sony cam because I have so many memory sticks, am looking for another now.
polyhedron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 8:47 AM   #6

I love the DSC F717, it takes really good pictures. I wanted the F717, but I didn't get it for the same reason that you sold yours. My wife didn't like how big it was and it was hard for her to hold and too complicated for here to figure out. We both ended up liking the Kodak DX 6490 because it is much smaller, but not too small, and very very easy to use. I'm very happy with my kodak so far. Probably the only thing I liked better about the F717 is the manual focus. I just can't believe how much the P10 cost. It is a worthless camera in my opinion. I bought it when it first came out and it was like $500 dollars. I'm so glad i got my money back though. I almost bought it off ebay, I would have been screwed it I would have.

Jake