Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:20 AM   #1

Default How to get better beach pictures

I have a casio ex-z40 and my beach shots are coming out with terrible color.They are too bright and have a blue cast. The sand here is white and is very bright, what settings can I use to get better pictures?
myke3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:04 AM   #2
DBB

Default Re: How to get better beach pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by myke3m
I have a casio ex-z40 and my beach shots are coming out with terrible color.They are too bright and have a blue cast. The sand here is white and is very bright, what settings can I use to get better pictures?
I'n familiar with that camera, but keep in mind that you are probalbly shooting bright and dark at the same time.

Focus lock on an area of the environment that you wish to come out best, or is typical of the scene - Then, maintaing that move the camera to what you wish to actually shoot.

If your camera has manual settings - use them,

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:43 AM   #3

Default Re: How to get better beach pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBB
I'n familiar with that camera, but keep in mind that you are probalbly shooting bright and dark at the same time.

Focus lock on an area of the environment that you wish to come out best, or is typical of the scene - Then, maintaing that move the camera to what you wish to actually shoot.

If your camera has manual settings - use them,

Dave
Unfortunately, I don't think using focus lock will work using this camera. The metering is multi-pattern.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 12:52 AM   #4

Normally bright white sandy beaches cause the pictures to come out too dark. The normal suggestion is to increase the EV for bright scenes.

If they are too bright and washed out viewed on screen then I would guess you might have the ISO set to something higher than 50. It has a 1/2000 shutter but the minimum aperture is 4.7, so it probably canít accept too high an ISO in very bright conditions. And if the color is coming out wrong onscreen you might try manually setting the WB to sunny if auto isnít working right under those conditions.

If you are having the pictures printed and they are washed out with the color wrong you might have underexposed images that the equipment at the photofinisher is adjusting back up. In that case try increasing the EV to maybe +1.0 to see if they donít come out better.

And you could put the camera on spot metering and pre-meter on something other than the bright sand as DBB suggested.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 4:12 AM   #5

I know nothing about the camera you're using, but I do know that if you've set the white balance to something like "tungsten" then you get a blue tinge over everything...

If the comments of the people before me haven't helped, maybe check that..
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote