Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 8, 2004, 10:09 AM   #1

Default color correction on a projector

Last November the church I attend decided to go high-tech on the music lyric slides. This is giving some of us a very creative outlet for our pictures as we can use just about anything as a background.

The problem we are having is getting the colors to look right. I have tried manually adjusting the color settings on the projector (contrast, brightness, temperature, etc.) and I can get things to look OK. Using this method any pictures that are predominately blue come out purple. The really odd part is if there is only a small amount of blue, like a break in the clouds behind a tree, the blue looks fine.

I've tried a couple of free monitor calibration programs, but they didn't help.

Any ideas would be helpful.
estill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2004, 12:01 PM   #2

what kind of projecter is it, brand, model, ect.

that might help

brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 4:30 PM   #3

I forgot to ask. The only time I've climbed up the ceiling, looking at the brand and model were not the thoughts going through my mind.

Let me get ahold of the person that bought it and I'll get back to you.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 5:14 PM   #4

Are you using a PC to connect to the projector? Do you have a monitor hooked up as well as the projector?
In my studio I have a laptop that's hooked up to a projector and set so both screens show the same thing (Clone) I have a different dual-monitor setup on my workroom PC but they have a few things in common. They both have an NVidia video card with 2 outputs. In windows, i go to display properties, settings, advanced, then I can pull up a menu that shows the configuration of the monitors and I can click on one then adjust the colors on just that monitor. I can even load a specific ICC profile. At any rate, this works better than fiddling with the gamma & brightness & stuff using the buttons on the projector. If your setup is anything like this give it a try.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 3:34 PM   #5

As promised it is a Hitachi 2200 lumen unit with the model number CPS370W.

As for the computer setup. It is setup with 2 video cards; one of which is the integrated one on the mother board. The card for the projector is an NVidia card. I couldn't get the model number off it, as it was Easter yesterday and thing were a little busy.

I've tried creating my own ICC profiles, and to put it nicely I'm not very good at it. So I turned to the freeware program Monitor Calibration Wizard. We got the sanctuary as dark as we could, but the end result was worse than when we started.

Maybe I should be asking if anyone has a good tutorial on how to configure the ICC profiles manually and a good test pattern to use.