Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:54 AM   #1

Default Will this type of digital camera ever exist?

As a fairly happy owner of a Minolta Dimage X, it has now been dropped too many times and it's time to get a new one. There are definitely a few things I now want to have which I did not have withe the Dimage X. However, these specs don't seem to exist in any one camera.

My request is, in order of priority:
1) Image stabilization
2) 8X+ Zoom
3) Minor shutter lag and short interval delay between shots
4) Point and shoot camera - no need for lots of overrides
5) Lightweight (less than 12 oz.)
6) My main area of flexibility is that I do not need incredible pictures, just decent ones.

I have been looking at the Panasonic FZ1 and FZ10, and the Minolta Z2, but the FZ10 and A2 weigh 18 oz., and the FZ1 has a long interval delay between shots.

Also, I have been seeing that the Fulifilm Finepix S5000 may fit the bill, but lacks image stabilization. However, the increased shutter speed may make up for it. Is that really true or just a marketing gimmick?

Any opinions or other options? Will such a camera eventually exist? Thanks in advance!
ddwilder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:02 PM   #2

I think that the only way to make the camera you want weigh 12oz is alot of plastic. A camera with these capabilities need to have a great housing. The A2 seems to fill your bill except the weight.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:20 PM   #3

Big zooms= lots of glass elements = weight.

The closest match I can see to what you want is the Canon S1. Steve just posted his full review.

Quote:
Also, I have been seeing that the Fulifilm Finepix S5000 may fit the bill, but lacks image stabilization. However, the increased shutter speed may make up for it. Is that really true or just a marketing gimmick?
Its a gimmick .. the only way to get a better picture (as defined by more handheld stability) is to increase the shutter speed which means.. more light on the subject or a faster lens. A 380mm (equv)zoom shot at 1/500 second will give great results. The S5000 is a good camera though. If you are going to consider it add the Kodak 6490 in (4MP and lighter when you include the battery(s))

If most of your zoomed shooting is lowlight without a flash then the IS is nice. If it is outdoors or with a flash then the IS is nice but not critical.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:40 PM   #4
Administrator

You may want to take a look at the new Canon Powershot S1 IS also.

It's a 3 Megapixel Camera with a 38-380mm (35mm equivalent) stablized zoom lens. It weighs in at 13.1 ounces (without battery, memory card).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote