Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:10 AM   #1

Default Newbie to Digicams - looking for input on what to purchase

Hello all. I'm posting today b/c i'm looking for an idea on what to purchase as my first digital cam.

First, let me describe what I'm looking for in a camera:
I am a total newb to digital photography so I'm assuming a good point-and-click type camera should be purchased. I'd also want manual controls b/c I'm sure I will want to fiddle around and take more advanced pics once I get more comfortable. Something compact is also a very big plus as I'd like to bring it around w/ me.

Currently, I'm leaning towards the Canon S410 (or Ixus as some people mention here) and the A80. I was almost 100% dedicated to getting the S410 b/c of its size and execllent picture quality but upon reading more reviews, I hear that manual features are severely lacking, so I'm not too sure anymore.
The A80 series on the other hand have always gotten rave reviews and I really liked this one too, b/c of its user-friendly 'point-&-click' mode, as well as a bunch of manual modes for the inner geek in me. The main problem w/ this cam is its size, which kinda limits my options when lugging it around.

Are there any other cams that will meet my criteria above? Or should I just stick w/ the S410?
HydroponiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2004, 9:30 AM   #2

Bump.
HydroponiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 9:34 AM   #3

You are correct about the S410 and A80. The S410 is nice and small, but is pretty much fully auto. The A80 is a nice camera with lots of manual control, but is a little bigger.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 12:47 PM   #4
AMG

well, as far as conon goes, you'd have to make a choice, I still haven't made up my mind between the 2, but some of the other manufacturer's may have a combo that you may like, but I will say that if you will print on a new pictbridge capable printer, get the s410
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:39 PM   #5

Just a thought: Kyocera Finecam SL400R

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ky...004_sl400.html

4 MegaPixels, very small (not to metion fast) and a fair set of manual controls...

This is the 4MP version of the SL300R:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/sl300r.html

Most of all: what ever you get, enjoy it.
LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote