Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:06 PM   #1

Default Nikon D1H vs. D1X

I need to decide between the Nikon D1H or D1X. The D1H has shooring capabilities of 5 frames per second (40 full res total) while only <3 ish megapixels.
The D1x however has 3 frames per second (9 total) and 5 1/2 ish megapixels. My question is--does the lower pixel quality in the D1H make that much of a difference, and is the D1X "fast" enough?. I shoot action (snowboarding skate boarding, horsebackriding) as well as nature photography, and I sell pics, so any imput would be helpful. thanks! p.s the D2H is an (almost too expensive) option.
jencks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:30 PM   #2

Take out a loan and be done with it! :lol: Your investment should pay for itself in a short time, depending how you put it to use
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:43 PM   #3

either that or wait for the d2x, and take out an even bigger loan

i think the d1h was made for the news business, and the resolution does not have to be very large, small newspaper prints, byt i could be wrong

if it were me, i would go with the d1h

brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:01 AM   #4

The only reason to go with the D1h is if you really need the high framerate. What type of photography do you do?

Personally, for what I do it would be a hard choice. I shoot mostly wildlife, so that means that when the action starts I need as many pictures as fast as possible. I want more fps than I have now (the 10D does 3fps) but the lower resolution would limit my ability to crop for composition reasons. I think I'd get the 1dx, but we need to know what you'll use it for.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:00 AM   #5

I'm going to use it for Sports photography, mostly Snowboarding and Skateboarding. Nature too, but not as much. But the pixel issue is big, as well as the speed issue. Why is the D2H that much better? Is it worth the extra money?
jencks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:34 AM   #6

It has a better AF system... argueably the best out there. The F5's was neck-and-neck with the Canon EOS 3, and this is better than the F5's, I believe.

It's also got a very good white balance system. I've heard great things about how well it works.

Its frame rate and buffer depth are great (8fps, 40 pic buffer). Canon's 1D mark2 are better (8.5fps & 45 deep buffer) but the D2h is very good.

What you would be using it for is exactly what it is designed for. I take wildlife pictures (birds, mostly) and I loose shots because of its 3fps and 9 picture buffer. You will feel the same way with the D1x. The D1x is not a bad camera, but if you are taking sports photography seriously, the D2h is the right choice.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote