Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:40 AM   #1
MrE

Default nikon 4300 or 3200 purchasing tomorrow HELP :-)

Hello all great site, newbie here looking for some help :-)

Based on all the reviews and on the sample photos I have seen of various cameras I am defo going to buy a nikon, to my untrained eyes they simply look real and not digitised or errrr blurred like all of the canon a70 shots I have seen (perhaps I need glasses but that camera seems to have one very soft focus, canon a70 was my first choice)

The problem I have is that I want a nikon 3200 168 retail in uk, the camera is everything i want, but I can also have the nikon 4300 for 178 and I am stuck between the two.

The most important to me is picture quality, then after that lots of features and some manual control would be the next most important.

So which is the better camera? What one should I get, newer version (2004) nikon 3200 or older nikon 4300 cam (the 4200 is out of my budget at 229).

Thanks a bundle people. Soz if my post comes across as incredibly foolish, but the missus will kill me if I dont get the best deal :-) Off to read more reviews and cry as I see how cheap cameras are in the USA compared to the UK :-) MrE
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2004, 1:16 PM   #2

Which one feels the best in your hand? Both cameras are going to be very close as far as picture quality. The real question is which one do you like and how it feels when you shoot with it.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 1:37 PM   #3
MrE

well I got biggish hands and the 4300 feels fine, zoom feels a bit out of place but on the whole I like it. No bloody shops near me stock the 3200, I have held the 3100 (which I think is a bit thicker than the 3200) and that feels fine too, I still cant believe how small they are. What I am worried about is that the 4300 is old, but what I should be thinking about is what can it do, I think I should ignore its age when comparing it to a 3200.

Most of this cameras work will be point n shoot family snaps with the kids, but I know what I am like, before long I'll want to fiddle and stuff and thats when I am thinking that I'll be wanting something with manual controls. Thing is I guess the perfect camera for me is the 4200 as its new and has manuals but at 229 its a bit pricey. I think if the photo quality is the same on the 4300 as on the 3200, I may perhaps be better off with the 4300 which has had its price cut a great deal in the UK ie just 10 more than the cheapest place to get a 3200. I just dont want to regret my purchase :-)

Sometime I just hate having choice :-) new 3200 or older 4300. Time to hit the pub and calm the brain down with some beer. One thing I love though is the pictures these nikons take. I have 300 sample pics from lots of cams that I took off review sites and when I put them in a slide show I can pic the nikons out every time. I'm so glad I read the reviews on them here as I would have never bothered to look at a nikon.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 1:51 PM   #4

Welcme, MrE! I have no opinion (I am delighted with my Pentax, Olympus, and Kodak) but I wanted to welcome you here.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 2:00 PM   #5
MrE

thanks for the welcome I am defo going to stick around here, I've learnt a lot already from reading on this forum. Thanks again monkey143 :-)
Old Apr 12, 2004, 3:09 PM   #6

I have hands large enough to palm a basketball. I would more than likely opt for the 4300. You will adjust to the controls on either camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 4:25 PM   #7
MrE

well in true fashion I have changed my mind again, I have been given an extra 100 \o/ so my budget is now 260 I was going to get the nikon 4200 but its not out untill june and costs 240. But then I seen this on steves site, the KONICA MINOLTA Dimage Z2 I thought mmm that looks good and the best part is I can get it for 250 as its now been reduced by 80. I hope I've made a good choice :-)