Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:01 PM   #1

Default Canon IS or Dimage Z 2 ?!? Please HELP me!!!

Hello!

First of all I want to say : GREAT FORUM !!
Now to the busines!!!
I am looking for new camera to replace my powershot s100 and I have ranged my options whit these 2 cameras :
Canon IS
Minolta Z 2

Now whitch one is the better camera ? Easy use and compact shape is important so is speed and ofcourse photoquality !!
And I would like to know whitch one does have better videomode and what would be a good memory card for these cameras ?

Thanks !!!
jorepore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2004, 4:30 PM   #2
sac

Default Minolta Z2 v Canon 1S IS

Just joined to pose exactly the same question.

Have Canon A40 (excellent and good movies) - need something better to avoid carrying old Yashica FR and lenses on trip to USA - Grand Canyon - later this year.

A friend has recently bought the Minolta Z1 and it is good - I've played with it, also had a brief try of the Canon S1 IS. The Canon's image stabilisation really works and is very noticeble switching between the two cameras at full zoom.

Canon has cheaper CF cards and better viewfinder with flexible, pull out, TFT. Real issue is cost difference. In UK the lowest Canon price is circa 380, with the Z2 at 255. So, even taking accont of the cost of SD cards compared to CF, the Z2 is much cheaper and with the extra 0.8m pixels. But I'd still go for the Canon unless the budget wil not allow.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 4:28 PM   #3

what about s1 is and olympus c-765? I don't like the z1/z2 images at all. Just compare these:

http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/s1is/IMG_0206.JPG
http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/z2/PICT0010.JPG

http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/c760/P1010005.JPG

is ok to. Can't decide c-765 or s1, or even the a80/s50, but I think i want lots of zoom.

c-765 got better viewfinder, is faster, probably slightly better objective and more mp, the s1 has image stabilizer, better movie mode and uses compact flash + aa-batteries instead of xd + lithium ion.
aliquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 12:00 PM   #4
pjz

It seems like we are looking for the same thing

I really like the Canon for the look and feel of the camera, the image stabilization, and the fact that it uses CF cards and AA batteries. It is the only camera I have tested, albeit at the camera shop, but the video is pretty impressive and the image stabilizier kicks in pretty quick. The only thing that holding me from buying this camera is the fact that it is only 3MP. Logic tells me that it doesn't make sense to upgrade from my 2MP camera to a 3MP model.

The pricing on the Minolta makes it very attractive but the image quality doesn't seem to be on the same level as the others. Based on the sample images posted, I would rank the Olympus 1st, Canon 2nd and Minolta 3rd. I will have to give the Olympus a closer look.

What are the major differences between the 750, 765 & 770 models?
pjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 12:19 PM   #5

I'll answer better soon.

C-750 got flash support, 4mp, 38-380mm
C-760 is smaller case, 42-420mm and 3.2mp
C-765 same case as 765, same range as c-750, 4mp and the new faster cpu.
C-770 got same case as 750 (flash aswell), same cpu as the 765 but also mpeg4 640x480 30fps movie support (15fps not mpeg4 on the 765).

I don't need the movie support that much that i consider the 770 worth it price. The z1 and z2 is skiped due to image quality, same with s7000, althought both z2 and s7000 are fast cameras.

Only once i consider is c-765 and s1 is, I'll tell you the difference then i come back from the gym =P
Old Apr 15, 2004, 3:54 PM   #6

So, it's leaning against the S1 IS, but maybe I'll wait for the C-765 reviews before I order one. Here's why:

Fuji S7000 - Cheap for what you get, 6mp, 6x zoom, fast (3+ fps or so), 640x480 movie mode in 30 fps, microdrive support, good lcd, external flash, aa-batteries. Everything is there, it's great! If it wasn't for the fuji SuperCCD which makes noisy images and only hs iso 160 equivalent. Might still be a great camera but I've skiped it.

Minolta Dimage z2 - Never been an option since the test images doesn't look good imho. 10x zoom, 4mp, uses sd-cards. Feels ok, althought quite plastic, big evf, 640x480 30 fps movie mode also 800x600 in 15 fps. Very fast AF.

And then the S1 IS and C-765:

S1
+ Image stabilizer
+ Uses compact flash and AA-batteries
+ It's a Canon
+ Very nice grip
+ 640x480 30fps movie mode
+ 1.7 fps for 24 pictures
+ Batteries lasts for 550 pictures with LCD, 570 with EVF
+ Large EVF works great if you have glasses
+ Convenient menues and a custom mode
+ LCD is movable, which makes it easy to take a photo of flowers or an insect without lying on the ground, to take a photo over a growd without climping up on something, easy to tilt it so the sun doesn't shine right at it.
- Noiser than other Canons
- Quite slow AF compared to the Z2, dunno about olympus, digic needs an update
- No external flash or AF illuminator.
- No rechargable batteries included.

C-765:
+ 4mp, might make it noiser, more details however. I don't care that much for it.
+ Probably better objective than the S1 IS and therefor sharper images.
+ New upgraded processor should make it faster, old modells have been quite slow so I don't know if it will be faster than the Canon.
+ Comes with a rechargable lithium ion battery and charger.
+ Larger LCD, better EVF resolution, maybe better LCD and lightning?
+ Lighter and fits easier in your pocket.
+ USB 2.0
= Does this one stop the image on the LCD while takeing a photo or not? Anyone know? The S1 does.
= No idea how the EVF works with glasses.
- No image stabilizer
- XD-cards are expensive so with 256MB you are almost at the same price.
- If you want an extra battery it will cost lots.
- Menus looks weird
- Only takes 2 images in a sequence of 2.1 fps.
- Movie in 640x480 15fps only, not that you could afford the XD-cards you would need to store a movie at that or worse quality anyway.
- Lacks AF illuminator and external flash support just like the Canon.
- The grip can't be as good as the Canon
- Fastest shutterspeed is slower than the Canon.

Only reason I'm even considering the C-765 is:
1) The AF might be faster.
2) The objective might produce sharper images.
The better LCD is a plus but not as nice as the sequence photo, movie mode, compact flash, image stabilizer and so on of the Canon.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 8:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliquis

Are they decent examples of pics from those cameras tho?

The Z2 image looks very poor, theres some in the minolta forum here which look better (tho not perfect).

If they are true same condition/tweaked setting etc examples then the Z2 is a poor 3rd in that list on quality and I cant see it being that far behind?
RobDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 1:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliquis
what about s1 is and olympus c-765? I don't like the z1/z2 images at all. Just compare these:

http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/s1is/IMG_0206.JPG
http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/z2/PICT0010.JPG

http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/c760/P1010005.JPG

is ok to. Can't decide c-765 or s1, or even the a80/s50, but I think i want lots of zoom.

c-765 got better viewfinder, is faster, probably slightly better objective and more mp, the s1 has image stabilizer, better movie mode and uses compact flash + aa-batteries instead of xd + lithium ion.
WOW!! That z2 picture looks a little bit funky ?!? I think I dont want THAT.... So it is Canon then.
jorepore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 1:49 PM   #9

Or the olympus c-765.

I've compared images on dcresource of the c-750 and the s1 and i think the c-750 photos are much sharper than the s1 is ones, althought i want the s1 is

Everything sucks
Old Apr 16, 2004, 4:18 PM   #10

For starters, the Canon shot was taken at ISO 50, the Oly at ISO 100 and the Minolta at ISO 200 - hence the more visible noise. Also, the lighting conditions appear to be very different in the 3 shots.

It seems a little unfair to make comparisons unless the conditions were as nearly equal as possible.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote