Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2004, 12:29 PM   #1
pjz

Default This can't be true, can it?

OK, I know the saying if it's too good to be true, it probably is. But this is a damn good deal if it is true. I have been shopping for a camera for a few weeks now, and was hoping to stay around the $500 neighborhood so this was not a model I was even considering. I happened to come across this when browsing through Amazon.com. The deal is for a new Olympus C-8080 camera, with a 1GB flash card and includes free shipping!!!

Here is the link:
Code:
http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y02Y0357863Y5193826/002-3465772-0119210
Has anyone ever purchased anything via one of these "zShops" at Amazon.com? There is only one review for this merchant, and of course they gave it the highest rating. The seller also has 38 Canon EOS-1D Mark II's for $2,990 when the average price seems to be about $4,500 and 48 Panasonic PT-42PD3-P 42 in. Flat Panel TV's for $1,849 when the average price seems to be $3,000-3,500.

I have sent the seller an e-mail to try and figure out how they are able to market these items at such a low price and am waiting for a response.
pjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2004, 1:47 PM   #2

Stay FAR FAR FAR away.... First thing to look at is the payment options... Money Order/Cashiers Checks... Basically send him certified funds just as if you stuff an envelope with cash.... Nearly impossible to trace (he would cash it using false id) and your out a heap of money and no way to get it back.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 8:17 PM   #3

mrkryz give great advice. Stay away. Shudder.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 7:50 AM   #4

You were correct way back in your opening statement: "if it's too good to be true, it probably is". I would change the 'probably' to definitely.

Sting :?
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:03 AM   #5

I did a little looking and found a question just like yours about the same vendor on the DPreview site. The answer was as follows:

'Go to http://www.amazon.com and do a search. This guy just wants your User id and Password.'

If you take a closer look at the original posting site quoted in the URL you supplied the vendor states he has 46 of these cameras up for grabs - but the transaction site is now closed.

Sting
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote