Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 17, 2004, 1:51 AM   #11

Deleting in the field is a good way to fragment the file system and is a good way to incure contaminate the card increasing the chances of a catastrophic card failure. If I'm out on a shoot I would hope to be too busy to monitor the day on a two inch screen. I never delete anything untill I've downloaded to the computer. Memory is cheap why would you skimp there?
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 2:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsch
Memory is cheap why would you skimp there?
By your standards, maybe...
"Olympus E-10, Canon EOS 10D, 50mm 1.8, 75-300 IS, Sigma 28-135, 17-35 ,20 mm 1.8, 50 2.8 macro, 180 3.5 macro, 70-200 2.8, 50-500 & 2x ext."

This is not necessarily the case for young, retired, or otherwise impecunious photographers. Here in the UK a cheap 256KB memory card is about 50 ukpounds, and you can get an excellent digicam for about 250 ukpounds.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 8:59 AM   #13

In addition to using the lcd so I can delete the obvious bad pictures. I also use the lcd to check my exposure. If I have a picture I just took and I'm not sure the exposure is correct, I pull up my histogram to help me decide.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:41 AM   #14
DBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry
Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
well.....that can be good or bad......keeps you from missing good opportunities....but you can fit a lot more pictures if you delete the ones that are clearly bad...(but i guess you don't take any like that huh )
I currently have 3 512M cards. Each card will hold about 65 RAW images. I don't normally take 195 images before going to the computer. It's not a matter of never taking bad pictures and I can assure you that I discard more photos than I save. I just prefer to make that decision viewing it on a screen that I can get a clear image on. If I get into a situation where I am going to shoot 200 plus images, I might go back and delete the obvious bad ones. When away from home, I always have a laptop available if I begin to fill the cards.
I agree. Still it's nice to have the screen for those rare occasions that it comes in handy. It's also more convenient to have a menu in these screens then what? little LED viewers to set all the functions?

For those people who think they can tell if the image is in focus on these screens - Bless you - I can't.

Still last week I maxed out a gig and a half of cards and used the screen to delete what was garbage. As for messing up the fat - not really a problem if you format the card between uses...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBB
[For those people who think they can tell if the image is in focus on these screens - Bless you - I can't.
Perhaps a better way of putting it is "tell if the image is out of focus". If you zoom in and use a little pocket magnifier lens, it's easy enough to see whether you've accidentally focused on something completely unintended.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 1:40 PM   #16

hmm....you jus thave to zoom in...and see how the pixels interact at the edges! it's preschool stuff
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 7:44 PM   #17

On my G2 I use the LCD preview when I want to shoot at waist level, bringing my camera up to my eye level gives odd shots of small children. I get too much top of the head and not a square shot of the face. It isn't perfect but it works. Same thing for close up work, an LCD screen can get allow you to compose a shot that otherwise you couldn't with solely an optical viewfinder.

On both my digicams I use the histogram view to review exposure - that is one of the big upsides to digital over film.

Of course on my digital Rebel the LCD is only review.

Sometimes I do delete shots if the memory card is running low, but not all the time. If I'm bracketing my shots I can usually tell which of the trio is the worst exposure and blow that one away.

The LCD screen is handy but if you don't like it you can turn it off.

Or turn it on for a newbie to use when they want to compose with it. Something I do for my wife - she prefers the LCD. Who am I to say no.

I find that reviewing focus/exposure is doable with the LCD screen, composing a shot is much harder. That may be what DBB is saying?
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 9:12 PM   #18

you shouldnt chimp...
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 4:48 AM   #19

i quite often use the LCD for checking the histogram of a photo, to check proper lighting. But not to evaluate sharpness, or deleting images when shooting for three reasons:
First: it takes too much time to go to all the images and delete some of them.
second: The risk of deleting them all on the 10D is quite big, due to the menu system, and the slow reaction of the camera while deleting.
third: I've got 2.5 GB of compact flash, and usually shoot Hi-res JPG's so i can shoot a 1000 images a day. (i shoot auto racing, rallying etc.)

Storage is cheap, i would rather buy an extra gigabyte of cf, or an image tank, then start deleting images on the camera.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:14 AM   #20
DBB

Sometimes I do delete shots if the memory card is running low, but not all the time. If I'm bracketing my shots I can usually tell which of the trio is the worst exposure and blow that one away.t may be what DBB is saying?[/quote]

No, actually I meant what I said - However if I left the inpression that it is impossible to tell if an image is in focus - such is not the case - It's impossible for me.

There's a big difference. However, I gave the example of having to delete shots because I didn't have enough memory left - I've rectified that by now carrying more memory, I'm now up to two gigs of cards and drives.

I suppose my main point about these screens is that they rarely come in handy, but that I would miss them if they weren't there.

As far as composing with one - I sometimes do that for close up shots with my little Olympus - But that's because I have no choice. For action photography it is impossible to compose with the LCD screen. I can't imagine being able to photograph moving wildlife in such a scenario - And of course the DSLR doesn't have that capability anyway.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote