Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:45 PM   #1

Default LCD screens - why bother?

OK, I come from a mannual SLR background.

I always thought the LCD screen would be useful to review pictures to decide which to keep & which to delete, to save memory space.

So far my limited experience with digital cameras indicates that even crappy pics can look good or OK when they are small, and the LCD screen is basiclay a waste of space / money. I'd rather just use a TTL viewfinder.

Have I missed anything, or is my experience correct?

Cheers :roll:
richardeustace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:52 PM   #2

well....the LCD screen is nice for deleting....because you can at least see a little of wat you just took.....even if it looks the same if the focus is different....you can delete majorly bad ones...with bad exposure and bad camera shake.....that stuff...
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:55 PM   #3

on most camers i know of, you can zoom in fairly close on the image, and move around when you are zoomed in, i find the lcd very helpfull, i am useing a dslr so i dont know if you can do this with your camera
what camera are you useing?
is this what you meant?

brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:26 AM   #4

Only time I ever look at the LCD screen is when I am setting menus or looking at the histogram. I don't look at the images.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:47 AM   #5

well.....that can be good or bad......keeps you from missing good opportunities....but you can fit a lot more pictures if you delete the ones that are clearly bad...(but i guess you don't take any like that huh )
Old Apr 17, 2004, 1:12 AM   #6

Default Re: LCD screens - why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardeustace
the LCD screen is basiclay a waste of space / money. I'd rather just use a TTL viewfinder.

Have I missed anything, or is my experience correct?
1: Proper TTL viewfinders generally come on cameras that are too expensive for most of us :!: They're often big, heavy cameras as well.

2:You're right that the LCD monitor is a pain for everyday use, largely because it's often too dim for use in ordinary daylight without a hood of some kind. However, *UNLESS* you have an electronic TTL viewfinder, it's still essential for...
(2a): close-up work;
(2b): attempts at manual focus; and (to answer your original point)...
(2c):Reviewing images at the end of each day when on holiday to delete the garbage (misfocusing, poor composition, hopelessly wrong exposure, heads cut off, camera shake, etc etc.). One of the principal advantages of digital photography is cheaply to shoot many too many shots and throw most of them away (this is how most profressional photographers have always worked). Unless you have an unlimited supply of memory cards (lots of money again), throwing away much of the garbage at an early stage is a good idea when working away from base.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 1:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
well.....that can be good or bad......keeps you from missing good opportunities....but you can fit a lot more pictures if you delete the ones that are clearly bad...(but i guess you don't take any like that huh )
I currently have 3 512M cards. Each card will hold about 65 RAW images. I don't normally take 195 images before going to the computer. It's not a matter of never taking bad pictures and I can assure you that I discard more photos than I save. I just prefer to make that decision viewing it on a screen that I can get a clear image on. If I get into a situation where I am going to shoot 200 plus images, I might go back and delete the obvious bad ones. When away from home, I always have a laptop available if I begin to fill the cards.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 1:31 AM   #8

that makes sense........i only have 1 128mb so i have to empty it WAAAY too often to shoot RAW and/or not delete the obvious bad ones

ugh...i should buy another one...maybe a 512.....
Old Apr 17, 2004, 1:38 AM   #9

Doesn't mean it's right...it's just the way I do it
Old Apr 17, 2004, 1:41 AM   #10

well....it is a good way to do it.....it is more definate that your gonna get ALL your pictures on a CD or harddrive if you do it all at once....

see...i have about the worst way to do it...lol i save them all....but forget to clear out the card....then while i'm shooting i know i have them saved but i get a bad feeling that i forgot to or something.....so i look through them deleting the ones that i wouldn't miss "too much"...lol