Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 18, 2004, 9:25 PM   #1

Default day - date on a digital camera

My wife has a canon powershot g3.

Everything is wonderful except when we download the camera to the desktop, the date of the photographs are available only on an index sheet. She would like to have the photo show the date as we had with a 35mm camera.

We have six children so this is very important.

Anyone have thoughts on how we can resolve this problem including purchasing another camera so I can have the g3.
6billw6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:44 PM   #2

If you print your own pics you can simply add the date with most any photo processing software.

I personally download mine onto the computer into date specific folders.

But I do not know of an automated process to do the above. What program do you use and maybe someone familiar with that program can help out.

Good Luck
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:59 PM   #3

PK, your son is a cutie.

I don't date my images because I sell them, but you are correct that we can add the date. I can import into PSP (my favorite image editing software) and add text as needed.

However, that means another software purchase and - know how to use it.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:08 PM   #4

thanks for the compliment, it's hard to see her pink hat in my avatar but my son is really my daughter.

I use PS elements and can easily insert a date but some people print directly from the camera to the printer or insert their card directly into the printer.

For those other scenarios I am of no help.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:28 PM   #5

(^J^)(^J^)

Dontcha hate when that happens.

She is adorable.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:45 PM   #6

Some of the digital cameras will print the day / date on the image in the camera. I know my Minolta Z1 will do it. Of course once you set the camera to add the date it becomes a part of the image and would probably require a rather serious image manipulation program to remove. If the date on each picture is of prime importance and you don't print your own pictures then maybe you should get the wife a camera that does what she wants. The Z1 is a 3 MP camera with a 10X optical zoom which takes very nice pictures. Since the release of the 4MP Z2, the Z1 should be very inexpensive - probably below $250 with careful shopping. There may well be a number of other digital cameras which will imprint the date on the picture.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:58 PM   #7

If you take your images to a digital lab, they might be able to print the time and date on the back of the prints. Steve posted a link to a website that could help you find labs in your area:

http://www.prints-are-memories.com/
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 7:32 AM   #8

The date and time are in the EXIF data so they can be added to the print at any time later. If it is embedded in the image itself, it cannot be removed without a great deal of work, if at all.

Take a look at QImage - it will print the date/time/f-stop/exposure/... in whatever font you want where you want it from the EXIF data. I believe it can also produce another copy of the image with the info embedded as a batch job. I'd bet you can find other software to do the same thing.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:03 AM   #9

Exifer will also do that function. It allows you to add a watermark with any EXIF/IPC data.

Price is right... (Free) http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/

Unfortunately the author has not updated the program now in nearly two years, but it does work.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote