Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:04 AM   #1

Default How much for the money?

Hey everyone, i have a rather standard query for you (i'm not pretending to be original).

I have been given 800 credit as Jessops, the british Camera shop. I can go in and spend this on anything i like - and am going to spend it on replacing my digital camera that was stolen.

The question is - what do you think is the best camera i can get for that sum (give or take a very small amount)? Up until now i have been set on the new sony 828, yet i am completely open to being swayed, such is the reason i came here.

Any suggestions and comments on the 828 or other cameras would be more than welcome.

Thanks

lome
lomedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:58 AM   #2

There is no good way to answer this unless you tell us what you will use it for and what your criteria is.

Do you need small or large? Must it fit in a shirt pocket, or will you accept a separate case/bum pack to carry it around in? Do you have a bad neck, so it can't be carried with a neck strap?

What type of photography do you do? Do you do landscapes? Pictures of the kids playing sports? Indoor portrate? Pictures of race cars? Macro shots of stamps?

Without this information, suggesting a camera would be as effective as suggesting a girlfriend without meeting you. Luck would carry the day.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 9:34 AM   #3

I looked at Jessops web site and the four cameras that I saw were the Nikon 8700, Olympus 8080W, Sony 828 and Minolta A2. Of this group the Sony would be my last choice. As Eric has written, provide us with your usage.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:55 AM   #4

Hello, yes, i apologise for not specifying my usage.

I am looking for the best quality camera possible, i do not wish to compromise on quality nor features for size. I wear my camera on my front with pride and do not wish to hide it in a pocket.

I do however see a quick start up time, and a very small shutter lag, as very important.

I am an amateur photographer, but take great delight in photography. I will use the camera for indoor modelling shoots, but mainly to keep a travel diary whilst i am on my travels, and as a replacement for my 35 SLR. I have sold some photo's to magazines, and those have been of 'urbania' (as i like to call it). Scenes of urban decay and squalor, often in low lighting.

I do not deal heavily in sharpened edges in photos so i was not overly worried about slight fringing, but obviously i would much much rather not have it.

I also do a very small amount of wildlife photography, and a large zoom lens is important, preferrably with a manual option (i was drawn to the sony because of this). I am worried about digital's capabilities in properly saturating colour in wildlife scenes, especially in forests where i have my shooting hideout (a small bunker).

I am going to be printing to larger sizes so i was setting 5mp as an absolute minimum, but 8mp seemed like a great benefit, and the sony lens has been spoken of very highly. Infact the only thing i have read about the sony that is not positive is slight image problems, which i was going to read further into before purchase.

Sorry for not elucidating earlier. And as i mentioned, thank you hugely for any help, as i see this as a very large step in my photography career.
lomedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:03 PM   #5

Welcome to the site! This wasn't one of your choices and I don't know what 800 pounds converts to in dollars - but I love my DSLR, the Pentax *istD. It sounds like you aren't so much of an amateur if you've sold to magazines!

I can't help you because I have no opinion between the four models listed but I did want to welcome you to the site. I hope you stay aroung and enjoy it as much as we all do!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:17 PM   #6

well i think pounds are 1.someting dollars....so it might be enough for the Pentax *ist....
would be a good camera to have
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:42 PM   #7

if you can get a dslr then get it in a heartbeat!

gibson buddy, im gunna have to dissagree with ya. I recently bought a Sony 828 over the 8700, 8080, A1, and S700.
Got a great feel to it, feels like an slr, and also takes amazing pics so far from what im seeing. A little PF now and then but youll get that with every camera.

Lome, you will be more then quite impressed by the start up time (one of the fastest) and small shutter lag great features the sony has.

But like i said, if you can get a dslr, go for it! Only reason i didnt is becaues im a HUGE camera newbie!
ekimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:47 PM   #8

Amazon (UK version) list the *ist at 1050 by the time you add a few lenses you may be out of the ball park.

Based on his requirements (big time IMHO):

1- Minolta A2 Like a Sony 828 w/o the problems and adds IS (handy for the nature shots). Leaves you a few left over for some accessories. The Canon Pro 1 is another better choice than the 828.

2- Nikon D70 w/ Kit lens higher ISO. Nice but will probably blow the whole budget and you will need another 100-200 in stuff (flash, CF cards, etc). And if you want a telephoto well expect to spend 100 min (for a nice used one).
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:57 PM   #9

CastelDude, thanks for the input on the pounds vs. dollars. I didn't know if that was a realistic suggestion or not. I see not. But, nevertheless, something to consider.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 3:06 PM   #10

ekimes

Everyone likes different cameras.

But based on the description of use, I would proably opt for the Minolta A2 out of my list.

Have a great day.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote