Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:46 AM   #1

Default Will lost of Metadata affect the photo quality?

After editing my photos by using ACDSee Enhancer, I noticed that there's a sharp drop of file size from about 1.3Mb to 300Kb after losing the metadata, I learned that metadata is non-pixel data, just want to confirm that will the losing of this metadata affect the quality of my photos when I print out later? What I did was adjusting the blackpoint, gamma and contrast only without resizing or other alterations, can the metadata be that big? about 1Mb in size? anyway I saved the editted version under different name so that I still keep the original version with metadata.

Thanks,
Troy
troy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:54 AM   #2

the reduction in size is due to the settings in the save panel being set to a low percentage, make sure when you save an edited file that you set the jpeg settings to 100%. losing meta data should not change the file size or quality of the photos you print out.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:55 AM   #3

Loosing the metadata will not effect picture quality, but it will also have minimal effect on file size as well.

Something else is going on here. I agree with aladyforty, you saved at a much higher jpg compression setting. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:39 PM   #4

It depends.
Metadata for JPEGs are stored in the application headers. The most popular metadata is EXIF or IPTC. But there is also the embedded color profile which is considered by several programs. Removing all metadata will also remove the color profile which could affect the display.
In your case I guess you used one of the latest SLRs which also embed a large JPEG which is removed.
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 7:46 AM   #5

Default Found it!!

I've found the place to adjust the compression in ACDSee here instead of the one I changed earlier. Now it's okay, thanks a lot!

Troy
troy_s is offline   Reply With Quote