Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2004, 12:54 PM   #1

Default auction sites

i skim through the various auction sites looking at the various cameras up for bid. what i see are people paying as much or more for these cameras than you would pay in a retail store. it doesn't matter if the camera is new or refurbished. what is wrong with these people? this does not only apply to cameras. i see it with computers as well. strange.
lodingi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2004, 2:59 PM   #2

I call it "Auction Fever". I buy many things off ebay but I first research the item to find it's true value. "Auction Fever" produces a mental state that says it will always be a great baragain if I buy in from an auction.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 8:40 PM   #3

for instance right now on ubid there is an auction for a Sony Cybershot DSC-F828 with a starting bid of $1089 and at expresscameras.com you can get the same camera for $679
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:52 PM   #4

lol. i saw that auction. he'll probably get it too.
lodingi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 4:31 AM   #5

Default What a Bargain

Hi, Not all items can be tared with the same brush, I have recently bought two digital camera's from Ebay sellers. The first a Fuji 3000 with two additional lenses, In U.K. looking at £212.00 camera,£65-75 each lens, Ebay U.S.A. even with $40 shipping under £200.00.
Minolta A1 with flash gun,bag,2xfilters,Cable release & 2x eye protectors for glasses wearers. In U.K. (Jessops camera shop)£599.95p just for camera, from U.S.A. with shipping & additional £40 V.A.T. well under £530.00.
Or was I just lucky????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 9:47 AM   #6

I donít think anyone is implying that all auctions are a rip off (I purchased the computer I am writing this on from an auction site). This thread is just illustrating the doing your homework can save you a bundle, as in the case I pointed out above. That is more than a 40% difference.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 9:50 AM   #7

Russell

I agree with PK that I am not against auctions. I have done over 150 transactions with Ebay over the years. You must do you homework before you start the bidding.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 5:23 PM   #8
lg

Just make sure you aren't confusing the starting bid with the ending bid (with a successful bidder). To determine fair market value, check ONLY the closed auctions, and be sure to throw out any of the prices that didn't get a bid or have their reserve met.

It's a free enterprise system, and sellers have the right to ask whatever they want for an item; it's up to the buyer to determine whether he's willing to pay that or not!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 5:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
Just make sure you aren't confusing the starting bid with the ending bid (with a successful bidder). To determine fair market value, check ONLY the closed auctions, and be sure to throw out any of the prices that didn't get a bid or have their reserve met.

It's a free enterprise system, and a sellers have the right to ask whatever they want for an item; it's up to the buyer to determine whether he's willing to pay that or not!
That's precisely what I do on ebay when I'm checking on the going prices for a camera, or anything else.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote