Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 2, 2002, 11:31 AM   #1

Default I love my SLR; Can I live with a Digital?

The only use for my Canon A2 (I love it) is on travels to Foreign countries. I can either take "snap" shots or "photographs". Photo "ops" pop up quickly and unexpectedly. Often after long periods with no action. My fear of Digital is "shutter delay" and boot time from "sleep mode". Is there a product that will suit my needs - or should I wait for improved models.

P.S. I loved my 4 x 5 Speed Graphic and "licking the contacts on flash bulbs too."

Jerry
jfrostjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2002, 11:57 AM   #2

We are talking 3-5 seconds for boot time not 10+. My wife's 35mm compact takes a few secs to get going. It's usually how long the lens takes to pop out. I can have my Oly 3020 up and running almost as quick as my wife's compact Nikon.

Shutter lag is very small and can be managed when you get used to your camera.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2002, 3:00 PM   #3

My Olympus 2100UZ from off position with set for flash, and everything on auto about 4 second for pic. Hor long does it take to get film devoloped, sure do not miss the drive, wait and cost. Sure wish I had the 2100 instead of the canons during the 8 1/2 years in germany in the 80's. Always loved those times when you had to buy film in a small shop for 4x what it should cost.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 7:49 AM   #4

WHOA ! You've got me thinking.

Jerry
jfrostjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 8:23 AM   #5

Oh yeah, you'll like it even better, if you buy a digital SLR, you won't have the delay shutter lag, plus it will work just like your A2 if you take a look at the Canon D60. Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 9:17 AM   #6

If you buy a digital compact and constantly compare it to your SLR, you will never run out of things to complain about. If you FIRST decide you want digital images, and are willing to spend a little time developing new skills, and give up old habits, you will eventually forget which closet you put the film equipment in. My Olympus C3000 and C4000 both have a several second start up time, but also fall asleep after a couple of minutes of non-use. I just leave them on when I'm shooting. Plus, I have learned to anticipate photo ops, and prefocus; that is, I press the shutter release halfway, locking the exposure and focus, and wait for the peak of action. Then shutter response is INSTANT.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 10:46 AM   #7

Default film is better for snapping

Unfortunatley, I need to side with the conservatives here. There are too many limitations on digicams vs your SLR if taking pix AT the critical moment is your thing:

1. time between shots.

You CAN get arund this on the better digicams by using a rapid shot mode.

2. time to activate dcams ... SLR are always on and you can frame etc w/o turning on. dCAMs CAN be left on, but unless you have enough batteries, .....

3. time to STORE images ... fCAMs ... instantaneous, dCAMS a few irritating secons.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2002, 10:19 AM   #8

I wasn't sure what my answer would be, but now that I've "settled in" with my digital, I haven't used my old SLR once.
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote