Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 22, 2004, 7:20 PM   #1

Default Dust

On dSLR how much of dust probrem and or how oftn send out for service,is this something that you can take care of at home.
I would like to get some feed back. thank you.
woodeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2004, 8:09 PM   #2

i don't own a dSLR but i'm almost positive you can clean it at home.....

there are ways to avoid dust in the first place....but it is inevitable that you'll get dust in eventually....

one major way to keep a good amount of dust out...is to switch lenses with the camera pointed down....and if possible not switch in the wind or an especially dusty environment.....of course if you have to you should....

hopefully this helped....and someone sees this post that actually knows about this lol
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 8:28 PM   #3

You can attempt to clean your sensor in one of two ways. The manufacturer recommended method of blowing it with air or using a cleaning swab. There are how to's on how to clean with a swab without damaging your sensor. I have not decided if I will do this or not as although people claim it is easy, it is not supported by the manufacturer. This means is you mess up your sensor, you'll have to pay to have it fixed and I'm sure that would be costly.

How often you need your sensor clean will depend on factors such as how often you change lens, if you change it in as dust free environ as possible, and change it with the body pointed down.

I've only had my camera one month and I currently only have 1 lens so I don't expect to have to clean mine for sometime. Somehow I did pick up one spot though, but it only shows up on bright sky pictures and is easily cloned out.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 8:34 PM   #4

well...i don't think dust can only get in by way of lens change....i think it has other ways.....i mean....somehow it can slip into a box in the attic...even if you never open it..lol...so i think it would be the same sort of thing here...
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 9:04 PM   #5

Check this out!
www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
Hope that helps.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 9:58 PM   #6

Follow what the link gondalf065 recomends, I clean my cameras 2 or three times a month this way with no problems.. just folow the directions to the tee and you will be fine..Buy some pec pads and eclipse and cut down a spathcala and you are set..
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 6:51 AM   #7

Its not so bad. I've had a dSLR for 9 months and I've only just noticed 3 dust spots on the sensor, and that was through taking a photograph with a very plain background. That's with quite a lot of lens changes.

I fixed the problem with the clone tool in Photoshop, but I'll get the physical dust removed sometime soon.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote