Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 23, 2004, 7:25 AM   #1

Default Making a DigiSLR.....How Hard could it be ...HAH

Alright this sounds a bit odd But I was wondering if anyone ever really looked into Making a Digital Camera Work with lenses from a SLR Family OR Actually using the CMOS sensor from a Digital Camera in a SLR camera.

I know One company a WHILE back was trying to make Digital Film that you could put in a SLR camera that would let you take Digi pictures with a Standard SLR camera But this IDEA Died out .

I am honestly Kinda Wondering IF IT would be possible to take the 5 MP sensor from a Kodak 4530 and pop it into a old Cannon Elan IIE I have. The IDea dosent Seem Taht Crazy... I mean I figure the hardest thing would be Getting the sensor aligned on the focal plane of the Lense correctly nd sync the shuttter button to the one from the Kodak Camera.

I dunno I guess I need more Technical Infor about how the Sensor interacts with the camera.

OH well Has anyone tried anything this odd? Does anyone have any sucess stories or places on the web to go for more info...
KaptinKABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2004, 8:08 AM   #2
NHL

You mean something this for a 35mm SLR: http://www.phaseone.com/global/campa...onep25p20.aspx

IMO it's a lot cheaper to buy a 300D/D70!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 8:12 AM   #3

Actually, it would be hard. there are a variety of problems, including getting it mounted perpendicular to the lens elements, and putting it at the proper place. Also, if that camera meters off the film for ETTL, it wont work because it wont reflect off the sensor.

Its not something Id try, that is for sure.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 8:40 AM   #4
NHL

... the biggest problem is how would you power this "thing"? It's actually a high powered PC with large dRAM buffers and enormous power drain, almost forcing custom ICs solution.

An expensive proposition especially if the competition is fierce, ie by the time the product comes to market it's already obsoleted, and no mean of recuperating the development cost, let alone making a profit at it (see... Digital Film)!
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:56 PM   #5
Administrator

One company, Silicon Film, tried it and died in the process. They were touting a drop-in film cartridge device with a sensor, memory and battery. Only problem was that it would only work with a limited number of cameras, was too low-res and by the time they got it working the average consumer digicam for $400 took better pictures.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 1:17 PM   #6

you'd find it easier to make take a lens off a digicam and replace it with a manual focus lens. And even then it would not be simple.

You'll lose autoexposure, auto focus and a bunch more.

It would have to be an older lens in order for you to manually change the aperature, but they tend to be smaller that modern AF lenses anyways.

The other thing is to make sure that the sensor is at the right distance from the lens, this is measured in thousands of a inch so it isn't easy.

Of course you'll have to hack the firmware so that the camera will not notice that the lens it is expecting to focus or adjust the iris isn't responding.

The question is why? unless you're TV person who wants a sequel to 'Monster Garage' and 'Monster House'. I can imagine it now 'Monster Camera'.

You'd be better off looking at digiscoping to get more telephoto shots.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 1:23 AM   #7

Default Making a DigiSLR.....How Hard could it be ...HAH

Thought about till I got a headache.Figured the only practical aproach would be to place a sensor in the camera (mechanical problems are easy to deal with) and attache it to a laptop for processing power. Lot of software and custom electronics needed to make it work.

Personall I always wondered why somebody did not try to build a digital camera that would except "C" mount lens. Perhaps the image circle is just too small.
LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 6:19 AM   #8
NHL

Anyone is welcomed to give it a try: http://www.nucoretech.com/nu3/20_products/devtools.html
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW there's an excellent presentation on the different kind of noises (and their examples) over here: http://www.nucoretech.com/nu3/images...nology.ppt.pdf
Old Apr 24, 2004, 9:36 AM   #9

It would probably be a more effective endeavor to mount a canon G5 into an old bellows camera and really have some fun with people LMAO!!
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 4:15 PM   #10

I Dont know I am Still having trouble on the "Needing a PC connected to the camera part"....

I mean without the Need for Film the Camera could be GUTTED and the other camera almost just PLACED inside the other.... I am Just curious as to how I can Have it have Any Functionality......

Mounting the Digital Sensor at a perp angle would be one of the hardest parts. Also Trying to figure out how to makethe camera THINK its focusing its own lesne while it will actually be Cranking the USM motor on the Cannon Body.

Some of the other problems people have brought up so far kinda sound odd.... In all honesty I think this is a rather Dooable thing... Granted that I am able to hack the firmware..... which is kinda hard becuase well I havent hacked firmware on anything before and I dont know where to begin besides read all the tech specs on Digital cams I can get my hands on.
KaptinKABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote