Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 23, 2004, 6:50 PM   #11
Administrator

Deane:

I suspected the same thing (images never written to media to begin with), but if you check his previous posts, Michael said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Werner
I suspect it may have been something the camera did, but I was able to view all my pictures using both sticks while on vacation in the camera itself == and at different times.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 9:35 PM   #12

Did you fly back from your vacation site? Did you pass through any powerful metal detectors?

Could something like that have wiped your memory sticks?
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider
Did you fly back from your vacation site? Did you pass through any powerful metal detectors?

Could something like that have wiped your memory sticks?
Good thought, but that shouldn't matter. I just flew back from Mexico earlier this week and it seemed like every time I turned around my camera had to go through the x-ray and I had to walk through the detectors. All my photo's were just fine when I finally got home.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 2:40 AM   #14

Hi- Have you tried down loading from your camera say to your hard drive using the camera as the reader. You say you can see the photos on you camera screen?
Mike Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 5:44 PM   #15

I actually had thought about the possiblity of metal detectors interfering with the flash cards. I flew back to the states from Germany. Is there a definate chance of corruption from x-ray machines?

When either MemoryStick is placed in the camera, it just says that the card is not formatted, do you want to format it now? No!

I searched around on the internet over the weekend, and it seems there are several companies that look as though they can recover data
Michael Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 6:24 PM   #16

Default I reformat every time and never had a problem.

Did you format your memory sticks to the camera before you started taking photographs? As soon as I put A card in My camera I format it in the camera. I have heard that if You don't, Sometimes the camera will not write correctly to the card. I can't think of any other reason why it would not read Your cards.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 5:54 PM   #17

Default If I could do a back flip I would !!!

After I returned home form work last night, I tried about five different software applications all with recovery features. The last and final attempt at getting my photos recovered finally worked. I ended up calling a company called flash fixers. The rep told me that some detectors in airports can indeed cause corruption, but most don't. Important thing to check are whether or not warning signs are posted when checking baggage through.

I tried their demo as they had suggested. I was absolutely amazed to find that it worked after searching the net and finding other softwares that did not find anything. I would like to share this experience with anyone else who is having difficulties with their pictures. When I had called them, they answered right away and they were able to identify the problem I was having. I was able to recover all my vacation pictures on both MemorySticks. I'm absolutely grateful for everyone's help and assistance in this forum for helping me. I would recommend to all, to definately check their software out. Here's a link the rep gave me for downloading.
http://www.flashfixers.com/software/imagerecall.asp
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:37 PM   #18

Hi Michael Werner,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry for your troubles.

and...

Thank you very much for the tip re flashfixers!

Hope I never need it (I use Sandisk CF) but you
never know!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 8:37 PM   #19

Thanks Digcamfan,

Between this forum and flashfixers, it has truly been one of the best experiences I've had. I checked my e-mail this morning, and behold: Kim Komando did her daily tips section on FlashFixers and their recovery software.

Does anyone know how software like this actually works, and why other software's didnt work? What does this software actually look for if the computer and the camera can't find data??

- Michael
Old Apr 30, 2004, 9:48 PM   #20

I'm glad to hear that you were able to recover your vacation photographs.
I had wondered if airport security measures could damage digital image data, and now I know that they can. I haven't flown anywhere in ages, but I think that the next time that I do, I will be treating my CF cards with as much care as I used to treat my rolls of film. :idea:
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote