Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 23, 2004, 4:02 PM   #1

Default This isn't good.....can anyone help?

I just returned from a vacation. I had with me 2 128MB MemoryStick cards full of pictures. The minute I got home, I connected my card-reader to the PC to download my pictures. Windows is saying that there are no pictures?? I brought the memorysticks to BestBuy to see if they could get the pictures off, but they said that there wasn't any data on the media?? How could this have happened? I know there's a format option in the camera, but I clearly didn't opt to format or delete.

Is there any option left or am I completely out of luck?
Michael Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2004, 4:15 PM   #2
Administrator

Michael:

It sounds like too much of a coincidence that two different Memory Sticks have the same problem. I'd be suspect of the camera (or something highly unusual that you are doing wrong).

Do you see any directory structure (folders) on the Memory Sticks (most cameras place the images in nested subdirectories)?

Anyway, there are many programs that are designed to recover erased files. Most of the time, the problem is simply a corrupted FAT (File Allocation Table).

Try this one (free) to recover any images on the Memory Sticks that have not been overwritten. You can specify a directory you want save them to on your PC's hard disk (you'll see a drop down browse list).

The web page is in German, but the installation will allow you to select English as the Language.

http://www.happyfoto.de/rescue.htm

Here is the same page (translated into English by Google):

http://translate.google.com/translat...8%26oe%3DUTF-8

You will see a download link for "Digital Image Recovery: on the page. If you have trouble finding it, here is the direct download link to the software:

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/modules.p...p=getit&lid=14

The download is compressed (.zip file), so you will need pkunzip.exe or winzip (or another utility capable of extracting the installation .exe file to install it. You can download an eval copy of winzip here:

http://www.winzip.com/ddchomea.htm

The install will let you choose English as a language.

BTW, even if the cards have been formatted, it should be able to recover the files (as long as your camera model has not done the equivalent of a "low level format").
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 4:40 PM   #3

www.photorescue.com
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 4:41 PM   #4

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the input. I tried it, but it only found the directory to be empty. I tried it with both MemorySticks, but to no such luck. Are there other similar type companies that can look at the cards or providing software? I liked the interface of photoHappy, but it just couldn't find anything.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 4:48 PM   #5
Administrator

Michael:

There are lots of products designed to recover files. LTBerry just mentioned another one (Photo Rescue) in a post in this thread.

However, if the one I pointed you to does not work, then I believe you'll be "out of luck".

I've seen it work quite well with other users (even after media has been formatted). It's also smart enough to search the entire media for files, regardless of directory structure, state of the FAT, etc.

Feel free to try some more (like the other one recommended).

Something is just not "right" with your problem description. The photo recovery program does work well (unless something has done the equivalent of a "low level" format -- overwritting all data on the memory sticks).

This is unlikely.

Have you tried simply using a USB Connection directly to the camera (perhaps your card reader or associated drivers are at fault)?

Can you see any photos on the memory sticks in play mode on the camera?

Again, something does not sound right here... The chance that you'd have the identical problem with two different Memory Sticks seems pretty remote. Are you sure that they were full of images (viewable on the camera in playback mode)?
Old Apr 23, 2004, 5:07 PM   #6

Thanks for the post LT, I'm checking it out.

Jim,

I agree, it makes no sense why it would happen with both of my cards. I suspect it may have been something the camera did, but I was able to view all my pictures using both sticks while on vacation in the camera itself == and at different times. Regardless of whether I hook the camera direct or the USB card-reader, both methods show the media "Empty." Believe me, I've exhausted all possible ways, as these pictures are important. The card-reader as also worked fine in the past.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 5:12 PM   #7
Administrator

Hmmm.....

Are your Memory Sticks "standard" 128mb Memory Sticks, or are they 128MBx2 memory sticks (memory bank used selectable with a switch on the card)? If the latter, could you have switched from memory bank a to memory bank b (using tiny switch in the cards)?

If so, you won't be able to see anything, until you move the switch back to the bank it was using when you were taking the photos.

I'm taking stabs in the dark here..... :?
Old Apr 23, 2004, 5:17 PM   #8

You got me excited there for a minute. I checked both sides, but there isn't any type of locking mechanism or simple switch. They are both purple, made by SONY and it just says 128MB
Old Apr 23, 2004, 5:29 PM   #9
Administrator

Michael:

If you are sure that you are selecting the correct removable drive letter for your Memory Stick (and have tried both the camera directly connected, as well as your reader), then it sounds like something has completely overwritten everything on both Memory Sticks.

The software I suggested does a good job at recovering files.

But, I still find it highly unlikely that this would happen to two different memory sticks (if you did not do anything to format the cards, etc.).

If it were me, I'd try a different PC (and then check yours thoroughly for any viruses).

Again, feel free to try other software solutions (as in the popular one that LTBerry suggested). However, I've tested the one I recommended at length, and it works fine for deleted files (and formatted media, as long as the format doesn't completely wipe the card).
Old Apr 23, 2004, 5:34 PM   #10

I'm rather new to digital cameras, but did you see pictures on your camera LCD screen after you shot them? Could you see your shots as you scrolled through them, or however it's done on your camera? In other words, did you have evidence they were recorded to the memory stick after shooting?

Deane
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote