Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:02 PM   #11

here is wat you do....lol
get the Digital Rebel with the kit lens...maybe a 400mm ...something like that....
and since that is up over you price range a lot.....just "rough" it more
don't buy all the camping equipment
lol
ok....that won't work ....haha....you can sleep in your car!
nahh....

i don't know....35mm would be cheaper.....but if you go that way.....
BUY 4,000,000 rolls of film! lol...remember...your going to alaska...you'll need them..

well...have a GREAT time....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 6:53 AM   #12

Vito/anyone

Would I get better pictures with a canon rebel and 400mm lens or with the FZ10?. The one thing that concerns me is sharpness of the photos and I understand that if I purchased a 400mm lens for the rebel it would not be image stabalised unless I spent big bucks. Also due to the 1.5x factor could I purchase a 300mm 35mm SLR lens for the Rebel and that would equate to around 450mm? - or do I/ is it recommended to buy only digital specific zoom lenses.

I did consider the Nikon D70, but have read the photos are quite soft!!.

As usual, any help much appreciated.

Jason
Redneck UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 9:05 AM   #13

is it just me, or is alaska cold?
doesnt cold eat up your batterys extremly fast!?
i know on my d100, the batterys are fine in 80 degree weather(isnt summer great :lol: ) but when you geat to winter in 10 degree weater i have to keep changeing the batteries

just some food for thought....

brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 9:06 AM   #14

is it just me, or is alaska cold?
doesnt cold eat up your batterys extremly fast!?
i know on my d100, the batterys are fine in 80 degree weather(isnt summer great :lol: ) but when you geat to winter in 10 degree weater i have to keep changeing the batteries

just some food for thought....

brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 9:24 AM   #15

brad

It can be cold it can also be temperaute and even hot in some places at certain times of the year.

Interesting question though, how long should I expect the batteries to last in normal use in at a reasonable temperature?. can I fill a 256 mb card with one rechargeable battery?.

Cheers

Jason
Redneck UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck UK

I did consider the Nikon D70, but have read the photos are quite soft!!.

As usual, any help much appreciated.

Jason
Just my 2 cents worth!

I own both the D70 and the Rebel. Both cameras output high quality images, in most cases better than any lab photos, assuming you know how to use the cameras properly. As for the D70 photo's being soft, well that's a matter of taste and opinion. So far with my D70, I have shot some of the sharpest pics ever, you can also choose "in camera" the amount of processing you desire, and if all else fails, shoot in RAW mode and process the images later in Photoshop...results are outstanding!!!
private is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 8:10 PM   #17

Redneck UK wrote:
Quote:
Interesting question though, how long should I expect the batteries to last in normal use in at a reasonable temperature?. can I fill a 256 mb card with one rechargeable battery?.

An FZ10 will fill a 256Mb card with a single charge with reasonable LCD and flash use. We don't get really cold weather here in Florida though. You can get spare batteries from Eagle Imports for $20. My Eagle battery seems as good as the Panasonic original and others on the Panasonic forum have also had good experience with it.

I don't share your observation that 35mm images are necessarily sharper than digital, nor do I agree that color range is better. 35mm has a dynamic range advantage over a prosumer digital like the FZ10. It is hard to get the shadow detail without burning out the highlights. But do apples to apples and compare 35mm SLR with DSLR and there isn't much difference. A good prosumer will give better large prints than a 35mm loaded with 400 ASA film, which is what is recommended for even good quality P&S cameras since you can't increase the ISO when you need it and don't usually have a large piece of glass up front.

I wish the FZ10 had raw or even a SHQ JPG. But the images are still quite good. Not as good as a DSLR or a 35mm SLR with good quality fine grained film, but not that far off for sharpness. This is a crop of well less than 20% of a frame. It is handheld at 12X in overcast conditions.

this is the full image:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 8:39 PM   #18

>>> Also due to the 1.5x factor could I purchase a 300mm 35mm SLR lens for the Rebel and that would equate to around 450mm? <<<

Marketting Hype (worse than digital zoom)! The so-called 1.5X magnification factor does not exist. There is a 2/3 crop factor. No matter what you put behind it (except for more glass) the optical properties do not change. Your dSLRimage frame is smaller. You get the same perspective, magnificationand resolving power.A 50mm lens is 50mm lens is a 50mm lens and 350mm lens is a 350mm lens is a 350mm lens.

Let me put it anotherway:

If youwere looking at a35mm film SLR and dealer said the Lens was effectively twice as long because he/shecould enlargeall your prints ... would you accept his/her defintion of 400mm lens ?

LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 11:25 PM   #19

Just a note when traveling. Airport scanners can damage 35mmfilm. I had it happen about a year ago. separate your film and request they don't scan it.You might get lucky.

Trique Daddi

Sony DSC F717
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote