Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 30, 2004, 3:19 PM   #1

Default Washed-out JPEGs

I find that most photos need their color saturation cranked way up to have the JPEG version come close to the colorful original PSD version. Just now, I experienced the complete inability to get a JPEG to look like the original, which was dominated by a lot of gold tones (brass).

Does anyone know what this color vulnerability is all about and if there's any way around it?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2004, 4:22 PM   #2

Are you talking about a jpg versus a raw file? Jpg straight from the camera or after photoshopping? what camera? what color space?
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 4:36 PM   #3

I'm turning 8-bit Adobe RGB .PSD files into a JPEGs of high quality for posting. Like I said, it doesn't happen with all pictures and is definitely affected by which colors dominate. I've discovered as mentioned above, that yellows are badly washed out, but I seem to remember that blues aren't bad. Red is easily corrected by just increasing its saturation.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 5:21 PM   #4

I believe your problem lies with the color space. Adobe RGB has a wider gamut of colors, because it was designed for printers with wide gamuts. (gamut is the range of colors a particular device or color space can reproduce) sRGB was designed for the display capabilities of monitors and has a narrower gamut. What this means is that a saturated color value (for example 88/248/17 R/G/B) will be much more saturated in Adobe RGB than sRGB. In a program that is not color-profile aware (such as a web browser) it will simply read those numerical values into sRGB, resulting in less contrast and saturation.
These websites explain it better
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/color_management.htm
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/color_spaces.htm
Short answer - in photoshop, you can do all your editing and whatever in AdobeRGB, then go to Image > mode > convert to profile and select sRGB before you save.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 5:28 PM   #5

I wasn't fast enough and caused you to write a whole bunch. Well, maybe it's worth it so that others having the problem will know how to fix it...

I was in the kitchen getting ready to cook supper when I suddenly remembered that, somewhere else, you mentioned using sRGB for posting pix on the Web. I raced in here, took the same photo I'd compressed before, only this time I converted it to sRGB first. The resulting JPEG was miles better!

You are completely right. All of us should be doing this before we post our photos.

Thank you.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 7:16 PM   #6

The problem does indeed lie with color space, but a related item...I have found that jpg images for web use need much more sharpening than my images for print --- another reason to save sharpening for the final post processing step.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 7:23 PM   #7

Yes, Ohenry, I've found the same thing, though I've discovered that photos headed for the printer need a touch more sharpening because of dot gain. The ink spreads on the paper slightly, increasing the size of the dots, and a bit more sharpening compensates for this.