Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 30, 2004, 7:58 PM   #11

well...they could find that info anyway....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 8:46 PM   #12

I will say what photo equipment I have (not much really - most of it chemical and old) when that info is needed in the context of a message. That really doesn't happen very often. In most discussions it really doesn't matter if you are shooting with a BarbiCam, a 4x5" digital back, or the Hubble. The noise level is different in each, but the basic concept of noise is the same. ISO, f/stops, exposure time, ... are different, but the basic concepts and problems are the same.

Some of the "signatures" almost seem to be saying, "Look at my pots and pans, I am a great cook."
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 9:16 PM   #13

there is something like this being discused on another forum...
they are talking about selling decals with the companys logo on in for you cars(they sell hats and shirts and stuff with there logo on them), all of the members of this site each have multi-thousand dollar cameras, and lenses in there cars, someone brought up that if they did that, the theives would know exactly which cars to break into....

i know, off topic, but i thought id share
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 10:36 AM   #14

As others are saying, nothing on the internet is completely private, and the right person with the right know-how can find your address even from a screen name and I.P. address behind the scenes.

That being said, the ability to do this is not everyday knowledge. The chances are slim (though not "0") that someone who knows enough to do this will be close enough to your home to want to bother with it - unless you have a Digital Rebel warehouse and 800 cameras stocked in your home. LOL.

Security is someone's own private responsibility, too. I don't have "thousands of dollars" worth of equipment at home, but what I do have, is locked up in a safe that would take 4 men to carry out. I also have three large dogs (indoors), monitored security, and the police station is one block from my house. LOL... all this for a little bit of gear I doubt anyone would steal if it were laying out on a table in the open. Still, certain things like safes or lockable cabinets or simple security systems are not an unreasonable thing to consider in this day and age. Remember, crooks don't want to hang out in your house for an hour - the longer they're there, thebetter the chance is of getting caught. They want to break in, grab what they can quick, and get out. Having to take the time to go through alarms and locked cabinets or safes isn't smart.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 11:43 AM   #15

LoganBerry ??

Is Somebody pulling my leg ??
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 2:13 PM   #16

No, that's my name all right.

At any rate, I think the problem at hand has been resolved, as the new format does not allow signatures at all unless I have missed something.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 2:23 PM   #17

i thought i saw some signatures....but maybe they just wrote that at the end of every message....which is possible...but time consuming...lol

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i want my sig back

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"btw.....everyone....finding someones address is ALOT easier than you may think....there are people that can get your credit card info as easy as that *snaps*

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"...you just don't give them a reason to want it.....so i can see Calr's point...if you have all your equipment listed and it is over 10,000 dollars....they'll think you got a decent credit going...and then they'll think of doing the work involved to get it...

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote