Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 2, 2004, 12:49 PM   #1

Hi,I need to get a 10x zoom, 4 megapixel camera (may be using some photos in publications, so I need good resolution), and am trying to decide between the Olympus C-750, C-765 and the Minolta Dimage Z2. I'd love the Olympus C-770, but it's just too far out of my budget.

It looks, from my research, that the C-765 is superior to the C-750 is all respects other than it lacks a hotshoe and a remote. I don't suspect I will have much need for an external flash (most of my photography will be outdoors), so I lean towards the C-765. I like the panorama feature of the Olympus cameras (though I imagine it's easy enough to stitch photos together in Photoshop manually), but I also like the nice video capabilities of the Minolta, plus that it uses comparatively inexpensive SD memory. Otherwise, these cameras seem to be pretty comparable, from all I have read.

What I am really wondering about is how both image quality and durability compare between the three. I will be using this camera quite a bit on digs in the Middle East, so it will be exposed to a lot of heat and dust (one of the reasons I was sure to only look at models that can take filters - so the Kodak 6490 is out) - do any of them have more of a problem with that? As far as image quality goes, does the Z2 fix the purple fringing problems of the Z1 (the sample photos on Steve's review have no night photos, where it seems to have been most evident)? And how do the macro functions compare? I will likely be using that a lot of detail photos of artifacts. Also, does the Minolta, because of its predictive focus control, focus significantly faster than the Olympus models?

Any comments, on these questions or on the cameras in general, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Jamie

LU2.DUB.SAR
ushumgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2004, 3:35 PM   #2

Okay,

I just recently purchased Z2. So far, I can tell you this. I was in teh same boat that you are C765 vs. Z2. I bought Z2 because of the following:

It uses cheap NiMH batteries

Secure Digital cards are relatively cheap

Super Macro would let you focus as close as 1.7" from the object WOW!!!, I have taken several macro shots and they have been amazingly clear and a delight to look at.

Also, shot-to-shot timing and shutter lag are virtually negligible. Look at Steves review for Z2. You can shoot pretty fast with the Z2.

Also the burst mode is very handy for action shots.

The only complaint I have is that at ISO 200, there is noise visible when you view the image on the screen at full resolution, but when you print it, the noise is not detectable at 8" x 10". I mostly shoot at ISO 50 in outdoors.

I am not sure if the 765 has manual focus capabilities. The manual focus was handy in the rare instance that the AF was not able to look on.

Auto Focus is extremely fast in Z2.

Hope this helps.
photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 9:41 AM   #3

Thanks, it does help! Have you had any trouble with purple fringing? And doesthecamera bodyseem pretty sturdy? Many people have commented that the Z1 seemed rather flimsy.

Thanks,

Jamie

LU2.DUB.SAr
ushumgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 12:39 PM   #4

I don't have any experience with the Z1, but for Z2, the camera feels pretty sturdy and it feels pretty well balanced. I have not scrutinized my pictures for purple fringing.

Let us know what you end up buying and may be even why you went with a particular camera.
photo is offline   Reply With Quote