Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 4, 2004, 7:26 PM   #1

In considering different cameras, I've noticed that at least one of the Kodaks (the DX 6440) offers no compression choice, and that at "best" setting you get 101 pics on a 128 mp card. This is the only option, unless you go down to another setting, like 2.0. However, most 4mp cameras, even the new Kodak 7440 get only 55 to 60 pics on a 128 card, having a "fine" and "standard" setting. Does this make a difference in actual print reproduction? I would want the best pic every time. What can you tell me about this? Thanks....

Old Rooster
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2004, 7:49 PM   #2

Old Rooster wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
the DX 6440... no compression choice, ...101 pics on a 128 mp card. Does this make a difference in actual print reproduction? .
Yes, if you...

1. do a really big print;

2. crop so you only use some of the pixels for the size of image you want.

BTW I'm having terrible trouble editing quotations in the new image editor, as I fear you may be able to see
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 7:53 PM   #3

well......if you want optimum quality prints than you want the least amount of compression....i NEVER go below superfine....but that is just me....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 9:30 PM   #4

~1.2Mbytes for a 4Mpixel image does seem like a bit much compression, but you should do some tests for yourself. You will have to learn how to use a photo editor (the digital darkroom) to get the most out of any digicam so you might as well learn before you buy the camera. Then you can try different compressions to find out how much of a difference it makes to your eye for your use.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote