Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 13, 2002, 2:21 PM   #1

Default triggerable camera by sound

I take hi-speed photos with my film camera.
Does any of the digital cameras offer
input to expose the sensor when a trigger signal is sent electronically.
thanks,willy
willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2002, 7:52 PM   #2

Default Remote?

Well, a bunch of cameras have a remote control, would that work for what you need? The Canon G2, Nikons, many others.

Also, keep in mind there is a lag between when you press the remote and when the shot is captured. You may be able to reduce it (for example, setting the focal length in advance reduces shutter lag on some cameras).
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2002, 10:31 AM   #3

Could you be a little more specific what you mean by "hi-speed photos?" Buzzy is correct in that shutter lag will be an issue even with manual focus. The Dimage 7 has a simple connector for remote control but it may be a poor candidate for what you want. The discontinued Oly E-100RS claims to have a zero lag shutter. They're still available if you look hard.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2002, 7:35 AM   #4

Default sound trigger

I am capturing the image of a golf club at
impact with a golf ball when the sound of impact is heard. I need to send a TTL level electrical pulse from the sensor to the camera to open the electronic shutter. Can this objective be met with any digital camera.? thanks,bill
Old Jun 17, 2002, 7:49 AM   #5
NHL

willy

I believe it could be done, but you need to come up with your own circuit, and not available off-the-shelf.

The remote port will work for you (and I'm more familiar with the D7). Shorting the 1st two pins will pre-focus the camera (ie you can leave it shorted to pre-focus) and shorting the third will trigger the shutter. This can all be done with an open-collector circuit driving to ground(center pin) from your sound detector output.

There are several links especially from KCan on Steve's old board that you can modify but until Steve's enable them I can't link the URL for you.

BTW, another way is to use high-speed flash and do a multiple strobocopic effect and you'll end up with all the shots in between by letting the camera shutter on wide open in a darkened room...

[Edited on 6-17-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2002, 12:07 PM   #6

Willy, I think you'll find there is no way to do that with the camera's shutter, at least with any commercially available camera. Follow NHL's advice and shoot with a strobe and long shutter time. This will mean working in dim conditions and/or small aperture and maybe ND filters to reduce ambient exposure but a good powerful studio flash could be triggered at precisely the moment you want . A strobe set to low power would need to be very close to the subject but give you extremely short exposure times. Nice thing about that method, it works with any camera.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2002, 12:21 PM   #7

In Industrial Photography, I used to fire the strobe with a simple on/off or off/on switch using tin foil or micro switch, but that did make it for use only in a darkened room and camera set on bulb. As a test, I tried wire to hammer head and other to contact of light bulb.. hammer breaks bulb, hits bulb filliment and fires flash.. Good luck!
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2002, 12:31 PM   #8

i GUESS YOU ARE SAYING THAT i WILL HAVE TO HAVE THE CAMERA RUNNING
BEFORE THE TRIGGER EVENT SINCE i WILL NOT KNOW WHAT FRAME MY IMAGE WILL BE STROBED? iS THIS CORRECT?
Old Jun 17, 2002, 12:58 PM   #9
NHL

willy

Yea, leave the camera on bulb, and capture with the flash either on metallic contact, noise etc... or stroboscopic actions! But I wouldn't give up on the remote idea just yet, the shutter is pretty fast when the camera is on manual & manual focus!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2002, 9:08 PM   #10

Willy.... There are other high-speed options and that includes the maga-frams/second movie and film swipe images....!. But with shutter speeds we have in cameras and the actual flash exposure of of a strobe your restricted to what you have. The strobe is actually fast, can capture a speeding bullet or shattering glass, other than that it's bulb and strobe. Yes, try the golf ball, use switches to time the impact with the flash. Close might be too late, farther may be too early! I've had lots of fun with that one! Also with High speed motion picture at @ 2 million/f/s.
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote