Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 7, 2004, 8:20 AM   #1

I sent to next photo for the screw on lens hood that screws on to the Nikon UR-E8 tele lens adapter and it is just perfect. You still can only use 1/2 of the wide angle lens when using the internal flash due to a shadow coused by the hood partly covering the flash. External flash is no problem. It will take A 72MM filter and it really looks nice on the camera. (Nikon 8700) I was trying to get the Nikon HN-CP11 lens hood and could not find any. I don't think they even make them yet. I'm really happy with this set-up and it does everything I need to protect the lens and shade it from the sun.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:11 PM   #2

Are you taking about bernie, from Nextphoto.com in Canada? I got one to! I actually received the hood before I rec'd the camera! Only, don't use it when you are using the flash! Yuk! I was freaked out as I put the lens hood upon receiving the camera. As I was indoors, I started to shoot some pictures after taking the camera out of the box and was panicked as the flash shots were way underexposed and muddy. I was comparing these images to my finepix camera I replaced and was really disgusted. One night, I removed the lens hood and was playing around with the camera (again indoors) and shot a bunch of pictures; boy, what a difference!!!
Anyway, good luck. I love my 8700. Bought it on March 1, 2004 and already have about 6800 on the counter.
jmoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 10:23 AM   #3

Yep!!!
It is the one, I don't do total wide pictures with it on if using internal flash. I mostly use external flash with no problems vignitting at all. I just leave it on most of the time. It is a problem that could have been elemenated if Nikon would have just used a taller flash stalk to raise the strobe another 1/8 of an inch or so. I'm starting to think that the people that design these cameras have never taken a picture in their life. With an external flash attached You can leave it on all of the time and zoom as wide as it will go. No problem at all if flash is not used outside.You can zoom 1/2 wide with no problems using the internal flash.
I still just"LOVE"this Nikon 8700 though. It does everything just perfect when You learn the little quirks that can be worked around when adding accessories such as the lens hoods. It is still a great picture taking machine. I don't think a truly totaly perfect digital camera is being made by anybody and probably never will be. This 8700 is pretty close though.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote