Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 7, 2004, 2:12 PM   #1

i need to get a camera that has a long battery life.............should preferabley be 4

megapixels and upwrds

any suggestions?

thnk you

zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2004, 4:40 PM   #2

:roll:What is long hours, days, weeks ???
:?Do you want it continuously on (like for scuba diving?)
or maybe you just want it to take a lot of pictures close together
8)do you need the battery to have a long storage life?
:-?with or without flash???

:twisted:Maybe you want to use an external battery pack...

:crazy:We need to know how you are going to use the camera before we can answer...

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 9:01 PM   #3

May I suggest a DSLR? These cameras are really frugal in their energy consumption. But a DSLR user doesn't use the lcd monitor for composing shots or changing too many camera settings. And DSLR's aren't for everybody - you either have deep pockets or require the equipment for professional use.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 10:22 AM   #4

in need a cam that can take a lot of pics close together withthe flash on and with the lcd on......may be about 20 pics at a time and i must not need to change th bats for at least 2 days going while taking pics of 20 at a time every hour for about 6 hours....
Old May 8, 2004, 10:42 AM   #5
Administrator

zoom wrote:
Quote:
in need a cam that can take a lot of pics close together withthe flash on and with the lcd on......may be about 20 pics at a time and i must not need to change th bats for at least 2 days going while taking pics of 20 at a time every hour for about 6 hours....
I don't know what you mean by "close together. However, you will need to worry about flash recycle time (usually averaging several seconds, depending on the range to your subject).

So, based on your description, you need a camera model capable of taking 240 photos with flash and LCD on.

At further ranges, the flash will consume more power, whilemost models will automatically "squelch the flash from full power when the subject is closer. So, this will impact battery life too.

There are models capable many more than 240 photos, however most testing is done with a smaller percentage of flash photos, etc.

You can buy "portrait grips" for some models, that contain extra batteries, as well as using external power packs (which plug into a camera's AC Adapter port).

Why would it be so much trouble to carry a spare battery(s)?

To me, the other things about the camera are far more important (size, weight, autofocus speed/reliability, color accuracy,dynamic range, metering accuracy/flexibility, features that I may need, with fast user adjustments of settings used most often, lens brightness/focal range, ergonomics, image quality, etc.)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 10:46 AM   #6

How much money do you want to spend?

We are talking about 120 picture a day for 2 days? Many cameras can do that I would expect. I don't have experience with many cameras, though.

I have the Canon 10D (a DSLR, so it's expensive and not small) can do 400 or so pictures without the battery needing replacement, but that is without out flash. I believe the Nikon D100 has an even better battery life.

Are you going to be with the camera, or do you want it to work on a timer? Canon sells a remote shutter release that is electronic and has a built in timer.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/tc-80n3.shtml

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 12:28 PM   #7

well when i mean close together i mean that they are 1 after the other about 1 min apart co si need to repositio the subject then take pics and i dont wan t to get a dslr so if you give me a few egs of digi cams that cud solve my prob.....:-)

i can tcary extra bats cos i wont be able to chnage th batteries between shoots...:sad:
Old May 8, 2004, 12:35 PM   #8

Two suggestions:

1. Buy a dig cam you like that is also compatible with DPS9000 bat.

2. Buy a DPS9000.

Go here for more info on this bat:

www.digitalsolutions.com

Good luck!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 5:53 AM   #9

DPS 9000 is amazing. I love mine. It works beautifully with my DMC-FZ10K. And my bitches.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 9:12 AM   #10

The Nikon D-100 is awsome on batterys.. especially with the MB battery pack..
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote