View Poll Results: megapixel rating in near future
1 year 0 0%
2 years 5 45.45%
3 years 3 27.27%
5 or more 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 13, 2002, 3:37 PM   #1

Default megapixel rating in near future

On my own wine BB, the poll feature is a lot of fun .....Here's a burning question, esp since so many of us seem to think that our cameras have a short shelf life and will be obsolete quickly.

In computers, Moore's law says power double every few years, etc.

How many years will it take before we get a camera with 7 or more megapixels selling for $500 or less?
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2002, 3:38 PM   #2

This polling feature btw is a poor cousin of what UBB does---the poll questions have to be set in the message, then you have to remember what they are and go back to the answers.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 4:06 PM   #3

Default My 2 cents

The vast majority of people will never really need 7MP, so it will be long time before the production volumes get to high levels.

Also, there'd be no point in putting in a 7MP sensor unless the camera had the optics, processing power, and memory to really use it. So it isn't just a matter of CCD technology / economics, its the whole system.

Also, until everyone has a way to store and print pictures, digicams won't be truly mass market.
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2002, 4:12 PM   #4

I thank you for the opinion on 7 megapixels--I'm wondering myself whether there will be a point where it is useless to increase density except in ultimate pro level setups intended to be blown up to some ridiculous sizes.

>Also, until everyone has a way to store and print pictures, digicams won't be truly mass market.
<

Well, not EVERYONE can do it now, obviously, but anyone with a modern computer and a $250 ink jet is pretty much there at this point. ANd if they don't have the printer, they can upload to shutterfly or the like.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 4:14 PM   #5
NHL

Well who need a 2.4Ghz Pentium IV? It's just Moore's law @ work, progress just never stop... May be we can all play 3D video games on our next digicam or listen to MP3 (BTW it already exist) while we lug it aroud. There's a short time ago when I thought my 3.3Mp was plenty...

How about Bluetooth or 3G enabled so all pictures downloading will be unneccessary when the camera CPU is not busy processing thoses megapixels. BTW battery technology has to keep up otherwise those battery myths and heat might creep up again when people are craving left and right for both more pixels and AF speed!

[Edited on 6-13-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote