Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 10, 2004, 6:04 PM   #1
Nou

This may be too technical a question for this particular forum but on the off-chance that someone out there knows what I'm talking about, I'll post my question.

I work as a developer with Photomodeler (a close range photogrammetry
system) and I'm working on a project to do some automatic image acquisition (and subsequent processing) from a set of digital cameras. I've been working with the LeadTools DirectX wrapper and using a couple of Logitech QuickCam pro 4000 cameras with good (but inadequate) preliminary results.

The problem is that I need an image format larger than 640x480 for the project I'm working on and that seems to be the best I can get out of the QuickCam 4000s through Leadtools; the cameras have a software-interpolated megapixel format (which would be ok) but I can't seem to access it using the LeadTools software which leads me to suspect that it's being done off-camera by the Logitech QuickCapture application. [I realize that I could do my own interpolation but I'd like to leave that as a last resort.] I'm willing to experiment with other consumer-level cameras (not necessarily a webcam) but it seems to be difficult to find out which cameras have image acquisition which can be controlled by LeadTools/DirectX. Many digital cameras seem to be advertised as 'USB' cameras but for the most part, that seems to mean that hooking them up to a pc allows someone to get at the images as a storage device.

So my question is: Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap (consumer) digital camera which can provide megapixel-size images and which can be controlled by DirectX/LeadTools for grabbing an image? [I don't need zoom or positioning controls and B&W would be ok, if that helps.]

Thanks to any digital camera wizards out there who can help me out with a recommendation... N

----------------------
Nou Dadoun
Eos Systems / PhotoModeler
Leaders in Close Range Photogrammetry http://www.photomodeler.com ndadoun AT eossystems.com 604.732.6658 x106
Nou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2004, 7:07 PM   #2

I have a QuickCam Pro 4000 and it claims to be 1.2 MP at 1280x960 maximum image size. I have snapped a few of them at that size but their quality doesn't even get close to my 3 MP digital camera shootingat a similar resolution. Anyhow, your problem seems to be software-related.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 7:35 PM   #3
Nou

I know about the software limitations, the 1280x960 size is the interpolated version I refered to. What I'm really looking for is a camera recommendation.

----------------------
Nou Dadoun
Eos Systems / PhotoModeler
Leaders in Close Range Photogrammetry http://www.photomodeler.com ndadoun AT eossystems.com 604.732.6658 x106

Nou is offline   Reply With Quote