Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 5, 2002, 8:58 PM   #1

Default Firewire Digital Camera?

Does anyone know of a digital camera that has firewire capabilities? If so, can you download images from the camera directly to a firewire drive (such as the ipod)?
Thanks
Lozlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2002, 9:18 PM   #2

yes, but your not gonna like it- Nikon D1x/h roughly from $3850-5000
kodak 7xx series roughly $6000
canon eos-1d in the $4500 range

nice?

the ipod would not be the choice for this use. there are other units more adapted for that operation such as the nixvue and other digital albums. there is an archos multimedia unit (supposedly now shipping)that allows music and media mix. all the photo specific units and the archos unit require you to remove the cf card/device and put it into a built in slot for xfr of media. this reduces the battery drain on the camera.
if you xfrd direct to a device from these you'd be wasting substantial battery power meant for image capture. thats why they currently frown upon this direct method.

[Edited on 9-6-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the info.

The reason I would like to use the ipod is because I'm tired of buying storage devices. When I travel I prefer not to bring a laptop. I usually travel with my ipod, which has plenty of drive space to store all the photos i take whem on vacation. As for battery power, this type of transfer (camera to drive) would be done at a location with AC power.

Perhaps Apple or a third party will develop an adapter for the ipod and or other small firewire drive storage devices that will allow you to insert a compact flash card and download.

Thanks again.
Lozlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:09 AM   #4

you would think that the xfr would be quick on firewire. it is to a point. the killer is power consumption. on both parts. when you sync a ipod i believe you are powered from the a/c adapter at the same time thus saving the battery for playback. i would estimate that you would get 20-30 xfrs on a charge without listening to tunes on battery based on 128 MB card. i'm being kind because the other units base it on 64MB cards. also remember that an ipod has a non user replaceable battery use it as a multifunction device too much and it will curtail the battery life.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote