Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 12, 2004, 10:34 AM   #1

With less than satisfactoryresults using a free monitor calibration tool, I've decided it's time to lay down some cash for the real thing.

After lookinghere and at Colorvision's own website, I'm still unable to decide which Spyder is best for me. I'm debatingbetween the Spyder and the Spyder Pro. Both look good and there isan approximately 60 dollar difference between the two. I'm not opposed to spending the extra cash if it's going to give me asignificant upgrade. However, I'm not interested in any software throw-ins, if that is indeed what the higher price includes. Can anyone advise and give me a side by side breakdown of these devices. Any help is appreciated!

aliasd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2004, 9:11 AM   #2

The devices are the same. The software is the difference. I have calibrated with both software (both were sent with my order of the Pro version) and found that I prefer the Optical version of software that comes with the higher priced unit over the Photocal software found on the lower priced, but at least one well known Photoshop guru and book author (Tim Grey) recommends that the Photocal software is sufficient for most users. (Professionals who demand critical color work should forego any of the less expensive units and go with much higher priced spectrometer based units.)
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 11:28 AM   #3

Thanks OHenry! Pretty much the answer I was looking for. Iwould probably be ok with the lesser expensive but with the minimal difference between the two I think I'll optfor the better. Otherwise, I'd probably be left to wonder if I'm missing something. Again, thanks for your reply!
aliasd2 is offline   Reply With Quote