Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 13, 2004, 1:18 AM   #1

Came across a website previously that there may be a gadget that can fit like a roll of 35mm film into a conventional film SLR camera, but is not yet available commercially.

Can someone let me know if there is such conversion item available? It is a good thing to enable older but good film SLR cameras and lenes to be used as digital.

kclee_larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2004, 9:40 AM   #2

Seems this company can't quite make it and never quite goes away-- they went from pre-production models to needing investors and come up on the boards here and at dpreview occasionally. I actually haven't checked in on them lately- but if prior track record is a sign of future performance- I wouldn't hold my breath.

I did see something about Leica making an 11mp back for its film cameras and it looked like it was well into testing- (I can't afford Leica stuff so I'm not exactly watching this one real close either).
whittonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 10:37 AM   #3

To make a universal device like this is almost impossible. How do you coordinate it with the camera? Leitz has shown one, but of course only for their latest camera. It's a replacement back and has contacts to connect to the camera. The problem is, these things will cost about as much as a camera. I think you might better just buy the digital camera you like and then have both film and digital.

My opinion -:-)
Bruce
bsdunek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 2:06 PM   #4
Zal

The company was called Silcon Film. There is a HUGE amout of research and development that has to go into a product like this. You can't just drop in a sensor--you have to think about all the support electronics, the power requirements & batteries, the USB port...not to mention the mechanical requirements like how to make sure you get perfect alignment of the sensor with the shutter, etc...

How much would you be willing to pay for a product like this? Today, you can buy a brand new, complete digital SLR body for $899. It is simply no longer worth it to develop any further--with the cheap dSLRs available today, there just isn't a market anymore.
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 11:32 PM   #5

Hi Whittonj

Thanks for the info & opinion. It isa shame if all the film caremas will be rendered museum pieces. I have 4 35mm slrs, one 120mm and many other accessories which are still good and reliable, although I have started with digital cameras more seriously about 2 years now, the latest being Olympus E-20.

Perhaps some low cost innovation may come up later to allow people like me to use older film camerain parallel with newer digital ones.

Happy Shooting and best regards.

Old May 13, 2004, 11:35 PM   #6

Thanks Bruce for you response. Your are quite right as I have already sort of accepted the trend and shifted my interest from 35mm film cameras to digital ones.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Cheers.
Old May 13, 2004, 11:40 PM   #7

Hi Zal

Your opinion makes a lot of sense and truly reflected the market or technoloby trend for cameras. Thanks.

Again, it is really a waste for all the good SLR film cameras and accessaries to be reduced to nothing more than a conversation piece. I still hope that some innovation can bridge this gap, both cost and technology wise.

Regards:|
Old May 13, 2004, 11:41 PM   #8

Your money is probably more invested in lenses any ways. Don't worry about the lenses as much as how you can reuse the lenses. Both Canon and Nikon have digital cameras (DLSRs) that can use their older lenses.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 11:51 PM   #9

Hi Eric

Thanks for the comforting reply. Although it is true that some of these lenses can be used on the new DSLRs, they are not really as good as for film SLRs. Please note that many new lenses are also being produced specifically for digital SLRs, mostly to overcome the "wide angle" or angle of incident being cast on the CCDs.

I am not a perfectionist and neither a pro in photography, just my sentimental feeling like not quite willing to let go or scrap an old faithful 20-year old car.

Regards :-D
Old May 14, 2004, 1:31 PM   #10

Actually, lenses for flim usually work better on DSLRs. This is because the smaller sensor only uses the center of the glass in the lens... i.e. the better part.

I so agree on the problem of getting wide angle, though. I paid a lot of money for my 17-40 just to get a decent wide angle lens on my 10D (with its 1.6x crop...)

I can understand the attachment to things. I get that way too... except for me its closer to being a packrat.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote