Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 13, 2004, 2:49 PM   #1

I was recentlyjust about to hand over €1200 for a 10 page, 200 photography website, when my brother pointed these people out! It was soooo easy I did it myself using their templates and, including the domain, cost me €135!!! (about $150!!!). It took me 3 nights and is now pretty much as I wanted it. I know there are a lot of serious and good photographers on this site, who maybe dont have or cant afford an all singing all dancing site. This is worth a look, even has a slideshow and search facility. If you decide to do it, mention meeeeee. [email protected]*********

www.ukfolio.com

Check out my site www.panphotography.com

I wouldn´t normally do any promoting of this kind, but seeing as most of you are nowhere near me, its cool!

You could do me a favour and add some comments in the guestbook, as it looks a bit bare at the moment, and I am about to do an ad campaign.

Cheers and good luck.
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2004, 4:06 PM   #2

added one

nice site dude! looks great....

a question though.....

wat's up with the dancing michael jackson animation on the prices page?

haha

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 6:22 PM   #3

$150 US a year for domain and server space? that's not that cheap. honestly I can't believe anyone would even consider paying 1200 pounds for 10 pages, 200 photographs...that's what, about 20 megs of space (100k x 200 photos)? no offense but that's a total ripoff.

I use 1and1.com I was lucky enough to get in on their 1 year free hosting, but their prices are great too. 60$US a year.
fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 10:37 PM   #4

well....i don't think i'd ever lower my pictures below 100k if i'm making a gallery....

not very good quality...i need as best quality as possible for my shots to look any good....lol
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 1:04 AM   #5

Unfortunately the €1200 (Not 1200 pounds Fresh) was mostly for the designing. Remember not everyone is as astute as you fresh and I happen to live in an unbelievably expensive place! A 50mm 1.4 Canon EF USM lens costs €550 here!!! About $600!!! I just received one from B + H photo yesterday for $294 (€250). The Michael Jackson thing, I admit was plaguerised somewhat!!! And as for the filesizes, I am going to be putting event pics online for sale and dont want people downloading them for nada! Bigger resolution and they can make their own prints (There is ALWAYS a way of bypassing security features!). And I agree Fresh, €1200 IS a rip off, even with the designing. I consider myself to be fairly astute with most things but when it comes to the internet, hosting, webspace and servers etc., I am a little behind. Must get into those books!!! :-)
Old May 14, 2004, 4:20 AM   #6

I live in canada. 1and1 has 4 data centers woldwide. that's the beauty of the internet, you're not limited to looking for the lowest price locally.

ahh, now I can see why the price was so high if it included designing. that was why I learned html in the first place. where I live designers are still stuck in 1995, you know, those basic green/blue pages with times-new roman font. they charge outrageous amounts of money for awful looking websites.

to protect yourself from people stealing images (it's happened to me too) you can hide a faint copyright in the image. i do it with everything I post online. it's not that intrusive....like this: http://www.dougstuff.net/images/terra1.jpg

when posting photos online, 100-150k is as high as I'll go. not everyone has broadband access...and it is possible to have photos at that size with no (or very little) noise. plus the average joe isn't going to notice a bit of noise anyway.
fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 5:48 AM   #7

www.fotopic.net would give you more and its FREE
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 8:14 AM   #8

Yes, that would look professional for my clients. NOT. The graphics on my car would read.."www.fotopic.net/dertt/$%·/user/freepics/Unprofessional/..." My car isnt long enough LOL.

Old May 20, 2004, 9:14 AM   #9

I am surprised that no one has listed it.

www.pbase.com is probably the most popular with serious photographers who want to show their work is a more "professional" way. It's priced well, has many, many layouts and does some nice things (doesn't count the different size photos against your total, automatically generates the different sized shots for you... stuff like that.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote